Forums Kemco Games Exe Create Antiquia Lost Tribe’s name? Warning: Major Spoiler!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Findme 4 months ago.

Findme
    Participant

I’m probably just imagining thing here but:

What is the name of Alma’s and Orio’s lost tribe in japanese version?

The english version gave it as Jin Tribe and I got the feeling that something might be lost in translation (well, probably not).

“Jin” is also a character in japanese. It’s written as “人” and it means “man” or “being” or “creature” and so on. For example, from Dragon Ball:

• Sûpâ Saiya-jin: Super Saiyan Man (well, “Man” part usually omitted)
    • Ma-jin Boo: “ma” = demon (also connotes magic or sorcery) so Majin Boo = Demon being Boo or Magic being Boo
    • Jin-zo-ningen: something like man-built-human or in other word, Artificial Human (#16, #17, #18, etc)

In japanese, people from Japan are called “Nihon-jin”. If “Jin” from english “Jin Tribe” is a direct translation then Alma and Orio could be referred to as “Jin-jin” in japanese game. Pretty weird lol

I don’t think I’ll play the japanese version just to find something this small. Can anyone please help?

3beez
    Participant

That’s really interesting! Sadly, I don’t speak Japanese. So I can’t really answer your question. When I was playing, I just assumed that “Jin” was a variation of jinn/djinn/genie.  They are intelligent magical beings, neither inherently good or evil. (It’s been a long time since I played. Were Alma and Orio from the same tribe or were they the last members of different tribes? I can’t remember. :sigh:)

Anyways, here’s a definition of jinn. Do you think it fits?

jinn
    /jin/
    noun
    noun: djinn; plural noun: djinn
    1. (in Arabian and Muslim mythology) an intelligent spirit of lower rank than the angels, able to appear in human and animal forms and to possess humans.
    Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    Findme
    Participant

It’s been a long time since I played. Were Alma and Orio from the same tribe or were they the last members of different tribes? I can’t remember. :sigh:

If I’m not mistaken, the three tribes waged war against Jin Tribe and Orio was the sole survivor. Somewhere after, Alma was born from a concentration of natural magical energy. Speaking of magic…

When I was playing, I just assumed that “Jin” was a variation of jinn/djinn/genie.  They are intelligent magical beings, neither inherently good or evil.

This might be it. I didn’t look at it that way. My initial thought was:

1. The devs called Orio and Alma “something-jin” in japanese game
    2. The translator missed that “something” and directly translated “jin” into english

Well, japanese calls Arabian djinn/genie (like the blue one in Aladdin) “majin”, the same word for Majin Boo above. On the flip side, “djinn/genie” as a translation for “majin” is actually a little too spesific, since majin generally refers to any superpowered mythical being not just a genie. But in context of their magical property it’ll do, like “Djinn Boo” for VIZ’s translation of Majin Boo.

Since Alma was born from magical energy (can’t remember about Orio), they might be called majin too in japanese and thus, “Jin Tribe”.

I checked the tribes’ name just now:

• Bine’s Tribe is called Fai (element: Fire). “Fai” here could come from Faia, japanese word for “fire”
    • Jade’s Tribe is called Eeth (element: Earth). Well, if we squint hard enough, “Eeth” = “Earth”
    • Safira’s Tribe is called Ruta (element: Water). Ruta actually means “router”, dunno what’s going on here?!?

Gee… why not just Fire, Earth, Water, and Magic Tribe lol

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Findme. Reason: bbcodes. this forum needs preview function
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 791 Forums: 131 Topics: 1,793 Replies: 11,584