Forums Kemco Games Exe Create Asdivine Hearts 2 Reduced assets?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Grande 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Dragnfly
    Participant

I just started this one and something that stuck out to me already is how it feels like there are less assets used than before. Many rooms look fairly bland (one house even has nothing but a window and table) and even Gloria doesn’t have a bust anymore, despite that she had one in the first game which they could have easily just re-used.

I wonder if they were under a lot of pressure to finish this one quickly.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I noticed that too, but I’m hoping it’s just like that in the first town. I just got to the alternate world so I guess I’ll see what it’s like here soon.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

It looks like the other towns are the same way. I don’t know if it’s the best way to describe it, but it’s almost like the background has less “depth?” If that makes sense…

Of course with the actual good dialogue, I’m willing to overlook it.

Dragnfly
    Participant

I got to the other world but it’s slow going since I have an Attract jewel on LOL.

Yeah, the term used most often in game design for those types of rooms is Bland. They’re very bland. A lot of the time decorating and improving mapping comes later in development. You lay down the borders, NPCs, treasures, etc. and decorate after because things may change. This is especially true if your game has stealth, action or chase mechanics because balancing issues could literally force you to redesign your room. Not the case in an RPG so I’m very surprised they didn’t just do it in one go.

It was the throne room that really got me. Not even a throne. Just a painting, some pillars, and that’s it. It’s an extremely weird problem for an EXEC game to have. You normally only see that in very amateur RPG Maker games and stuff where the dev is just being lazy.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Maybe they got so caught up in all the skills, the gardens, the buddies, etc., they couldn’t afford to pay anyone to make scenery?

Dragnfly
    Participant

It can happen and good mapping does take time. Though I’d call their previous games “average” quality so it couldn’t have taken them that long. I’ve actually been looting resources from EXEC games to learn to do pixel mapping at a level I can manage (sprites too), so it’s sad that I won’t be able to get new stuff to work with from this one.

Zherk01
    Participant

I sometimes miss the old engines that the developers use. Never really a fan of the new graphics as they sacrificed the overall details of the maps in favor of sharpness and details of individual sprite and tiles.

Exe-Create should consider abandoning tile mapping(they suck at it, hit-point does this the best) and just draw the entire map as a single tile, it will seriously open up a lot of things for them and will reduce the repetitive and RPGMaker vibe of their games.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero | Fernz Gate | Dragon Lapis

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

Grande
    Participant

I loved games from exe create before, but lately i start to feel really tired of it. Asdivine, Alphadia, any other title from them feels like exactly same thing with tons of reused assets. Even these ghost looking sprites of bosses shouts the same lines of text. I mean c’mon, at least edit the text! Its just so extremely lazy and they are going to pay for it by losing their player base. Just look at play store stats, some of their premium titles had 100-50 thousand copies sold and nowadays its good if they sell 10k.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.