Forums Kemco Games Rideon Blacksmith of the Sand Kingdom Overview of Blacksmith

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Davidson 2 months ago.

1oldtymer
    Participant

I  forced myself to play to the end of the game (not including the post game) so I thought I would describe some of the primary elements in it.  Even though the interface is well done, this game with no story and no characters (just slots with different class party members), is just a long grind with little to recommend it.

Very few taps are needed to navigate the menus, and in most cases there are simple shortcuts to jump from one activity to another.  The dungeon mini-maps can be toggled dynamically to show larger areas.  Saves are available at almost every point except battles, and there are 10 save slots.  Most of the time there are icons indicating if something “new” is happening in the different town venues.

Classes are important with different skills.  Although the game is unbalanced, with physical attacks useless by mid-game, you can freely change classes anytime.  Even better, each party member can have an active subclass (so almost like have two classes at once), which can also be changed anytime.  This configuration means that party members tend to be quite similar in their abilities, and you don’t have to worry about making a poor class choice.

You will be short of money until late in the game.  You need money to buy recipe books and materials.  Some materials can be found in the dungeons and from monster drops.  There are no equipment drops.

Some materials are also available as rewards in the arena (the arena yields only materials, no equipment).  Many materials, including some which can not be crafted in the workshop, can be purchased in the item shop.

The crafting process is a real pain.  The specs for the item to be crafted are not revealed until you create one, so you may waste precious materials for something you will not use.  Even worse, some of the “requests” (the equivalent of subquests) require you to craft multiple copies of items just to unlock a veiled crafting item along something like a typical class hierarchy path.  Again, you may find yourself creating more than one item only to discover that the entire path leads you to useless items.  Not until quite late in the game, and assuming you have sufficient funds, can you afford recipe books that reduce, but not eliminate, the issues caused by the veiled crafting paths.

Equipment have multiple “slots” for enhancement.  As part of the ongoing grind, you will find yourself constantly transferring the enhancement orbs from your current equipment to newly crafted equipment. Most battles become easier as you craft improved equipment and acquire more powerful enhancement orbs.  Once you have sufficient funds, generated primarily from selling crated items from the store, everything becomes easier, but no less tedious.

Should you persist to the final boss battles, you will be shocked at the enormous jump in difficulty they pose.  Be prepared to return to crafting, acquiring more money, and planning new tactics.

There is some kind of post game, which I have not played except just to see what it might contain, with more crafting requests and some new monsters (and perhaps dungeons).

There is an IAP shop, but it appears the most useful item are “coins” that can be converted to substantial amounts of game money.  Although you don’t need anything from IAP to complete the game, you will require IAP items to make progress in the post game.

[UPDATE]  The post game contains very difficult battles, which will require (again) modifying the equipment enhancements and still be nasty.  You will also need items from the IAP shop to defeat the post-game monsters.

Older, but not wiser

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  1oldtymer. Reason: IAP items needed in post game
    Jesusalva
    Participant

There are 10 save slots, you can scroll the list from what I saw.

Mastertrek

Is it more grindy than.. Dragon’s Blade?

The description you gave seems like the game is just an average game with nothing Special. The Crafting system sounds bad, the game should, at the very least, reveal what is needed if you’ve acquired at least one item needed for the recipe. But I think someone will make a guide in the future.

Welcome 😇

1oldtymer
    Participant

Is it more grindy than.. Dragon’s Blade?

The description you gave seems like the game is just an average game with nothing Special. The Crafting system sounds bad, the game should, at the very least, reveal what is needed if you’ve acquired at least one item needed for the recipe. But I think someone will make a guide in the future.

Well, it FELT more grindy than Dragon’s Blade, but no, Blade is still the champion.  I don’t find anything interesting about the game, except for the brutal battles at the very end and in the post game.  The effort to get that far just isn’t worth it.  If not for being rather housebound to avoid the virus, I would not have played Blacksmith.

I don’t have a complete “recipe tree”, and I could post what I do have, but I don’t think it is much help.  Even if you know what you need, the recipe slot isn’t unlocked without the book and all items ahead of it on the path.  And, it is possible that a player might have a different strategy and class setup than I had and have a different opinion on the relative value of the items.  On top of that, I didn’t mention that each crafted item has its own “enhanced” value based on the number of it you create.  Frequently after I compared the first copy of a newly crafted item to my currently used equipment, I decided I preferred my current stuff so I didn’t make the 15-25 additional copies to discover the values of the “enhanced” crafted item.  Consequently,  my guide would be rather incomplete.

Older, but not wiser

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  1oldtymer. Reason: clarified comparison to Dragon's Blade
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    1oldtymer
    Participant

As I’ve mentioned in a prior post, I find the game grindy with little to recommend it.  So why play at all?

Well, my real reason is the virus.  Putting that aside, the post-game battles (I’ve only experienced one so far) are a  challenge.  I took a few beatings that taught me about my weak points.  These lessons caused me to reconfigure my classes, change some of my enhancements, and carefully calibrate the relative turn of each party member.  It isn’t too often that party turn order is as significant as it is here.

Even after adjusting to what I hoped would be best configuration to defeat the “Mine Thieves”, the very first post-game boss, the encounter was touch and go.  The battle lasted over an hour, with a few cliff hanger moments where some bad luck would have sent me to “Game Over” land. [UPDATE: if I had known enough to use the configuration I discovered in the final post-game battle against Robztep, I believe the “Mine Thieves” would have fallen in less than 15 minutes.]

I also won the 2nd post-game battle (“Occultists”) and it was just as long and repetitive as the “Mine Thieves.”  It required a different formation (a nice trick to use the tank as a taunting punching bag) and also the reuse of the IAP items as in “Mine Thieves.”  The fun in discovering the winning tactics was overwhelmed by the battle duration. [UPDATE: if I had known enough to use the configuration I discovered in the final post-game battle against Robztep, I believe the “Occultists” would have fallen in less than 15 minutes.]

I finally defeated the final boss of the post-game (there are only 3).  My first attempt failed as the boss Robztep healed himself faster than I could damage it.  So I reconfigured my party to increase MATK at the expense of DEF.  This entailed changing formation, various weapon enhancements, and classes.  My new party almost won, but eventually was overcome by Robztep.

However, I did learn something from that defeat.  I noticed that Jean, my ex-thief turned Ninja/Sage, frequently dodged vicious attacks.  I decided to modify all my characters, except my fighter, to be clones of Jean.

Spoiler

The trick was to increase LUC (Luck) and EVA (evasion).

During the next battle, this new lineup rarely got hurt (except for my fighter), and they threw a steady barrage of the most powerful skill in the game at the monster until Robztep was defeated.

There is one more post-game battle, which is an unbroken series (so no save etc. between bouts) of all the game bosses.  As long as you have enough consumables, you just use the same tactics as before.  Nothing new or challenging once you have the ability to handle Robztep.

I don’t think the post-game payoff is enough to outweigh the repetitive grind of the game, but at least I can report here my experience.  I made a short post about the need for IAP shop for the post-game if you are wondering if you wish to delve into Blacksmith.

Older, but not wiser

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  1oldtymer.
    Mastertrek

“A battle That lasts for an hour..” – Yiazmat from Original FF XII sounds perfect. A big Health Sponge that can cast reflect while your teammate casts Renew Gambit.. But that was an extreme case.

I’d rather fight a difficult 5 minute fight (Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts) over and over than an hour long fight with similar difficulty. And I’ve read you had to get IAP items to beat it so it wasn’t worth it.

I’ll pass.

Also, recent weeks have been pretty bad, the number of daily cases went up 10x in around a month, with last two weeks giving records each day. Terrible year to live in. I wonder if the virus plays a Clicker.

Welcome 😇

2 users thanked author for this post.
    1oldtymer
    Participant

Oh, I agree with you.  I thought I’d just post my experience so people can decide for themselves if they want to pay money for this game.  I hope I provided enough details so everybody can make an informed choice.

Older, but not wiser

CoarseDragon
    Participant

Thanks 1oldtymer well writen.

I wanted to add I found swapping gear enhancements to be a chore but a requirement for many battles. However for early mid-game defense, agility and evasion will be very helpful, while HP and MP boosts not so much.

Using the Blacksmith flow chart makes crafting much easier.

Add unused item enhancements to items in the shop store so they sell at a higher price.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  CoarseDragon. Reason: Minor addition
    3beez
    Participant

I really, really tried to like this game, but to quote @1oldtymer “… this game with no story and no characters (just slots with different class party members), is just a long grind with little to recommend it.

To me it was like going to a job I hate, and getting paid diddly for my efforts. LOL So, another game I’ll never finish, and another $8 wasted.

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    Davidson
    Participant

Agree with @1oldtymer wholeheartedly.
    I don’t post often, but I just wanted to say this was the most boring repetitive game I’ve ever played. I was so excited for a new kemco game during lockdown but this was just bland.
    I have played and mainly loved all the other games just not this one. I don’t want anyone else to waste their money like I did.

here’s looking forward to the next

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 882 Forums: 133 Topics: 1,861 Replies: 11,874