Forums Game Chat Shadowrun returns

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Travelman31
    Participant

I did not like Shadowrun for the snes AT FIRST but when I gave it a chance, I slowly started to LOVE IT and by the time I beat it, it was one of my favorite games. I’ve been hesitant to play the sequel for android. But I finally took the plunge the other day and I must say, I really enjoy it. A nice murder mystery with some similar game play to the snes. It maintains that same dystopian feel of the first but has more dialogue than the snes version which, I admit, was more action packed. It takes up A LOT of space, so make sure you have enough on your tablet (I would not recommend this for a phone as there is a lot of detail that could be missed on a phone, the graphics are very well done). Just the same, I would recommend it!

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

It appears this game is on Google Play, iTunes, Steam, Gog, etc. It appears to be the exact same game; however, the mobile version is $1.99, while PC version is $14.99. (I saw a review on Gog though that says the mobile version has lower-quality graphics, but still that’s a huge price difference!)

Also in the description on Google Play, it says you need 1.7 G storage, and that the game probably won’t work on Galaxy S Tablets. However Google says it’s compatible with all my devices (so “tablets” in this regard must not be the same as “phones,” since I have an S7 phone).

It looks like a good game though.

(Oh, here’s links):

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harebrainedschemes.shadowrun

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shadowrun-returns/id667026182

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/

Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/shadowrun_returns

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

kamentierr
    Participant

Welp travelman if you like Shadowrun on the snes go ahead and try the Genesis Shadowrun. It was considered the best and revolutionary back then. It’s very different than the snes version but i found it very enjoyable.

Shadowrun Returns is pretty good i agree. It’s the game that introduced me back to cyberpunk genre and been loving this genre ever since then. The biggest drawback of the Android version is that it’s basically only a single campaign game, welp Dead Man Switch is very enjoyable though.

In the PC version you can make your own map and campaign, and back then in 2013 and early 2014 there is alot of custom map campaign made by the community that you can enjoy after finishing Dead Man Switch. And some of this customs are very good.

There is also Dragonfall Director’s Cut which use upgraded engine of DMS with an even better and longer campaign, i think you can get it on android too and the newest game Shadowrun Hong Kong was released last year on steam. Haven’t tried it yet but it looks amazing.

What an ass...

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

So if I read you right kamentierr, the game (or campaign if you prefer) is the exact same content for mobile and pc, but the pc version lets you make your own maps which you can then share with others?

If so I’ll probably go for the much cheaper android version if I ever decide to play this one!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Travelman31
    Participant

Welp travelman if you like Shadowrun on the snes go ahead and try the Genesis Shadowrun. It was considered the best and revolutionary back then. It’s very different than the snes version but i found it very enjoyable.

I liked the genesis version a lot but for me, the snes was just special and I liked it a little more.

I will give Hong kong a look too.

Travelman31
    Participant

If so I’ll probably go for the much cheaper android version if I ever decide to play this one!

I will let you know what I think when I am done but the price was right. If I recall, under 3000 COP which is like 1 dollar! ha

kamentierr
    Participant

So if I read you right kamentierr, the game (or campaign if you prefer) is the exact same content for mobile and pc, but the pc version lets you make your own maps which you can then share with others?

Yes. The “campaign” is the same, it’s called Dead Man Switch(DMS). The PC version is a little more expensive but you have the ability to create custom maps and your own campaign.

DMS itself is a bit short but pretty good and there is a lot of options in making your own characters giving a goodchunk of replayability value.
    Say in one playthrough you want to be a Male Human “Street Samurai” with Katana and little bit of magic and the next playthrough a female Elf “Decker” fully implanted with cybernetics and can hack things with Drones as support in fights.

What an ass...

Nemomon
    Participant

While I have never played Shadowrun Returns, I quite do liked an old paper RPG called Shadowrun. Especially a proverb from it: “Watch your back, shoot straight, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon”.

A few times I was thinking about purchasing this game, but the price was kinda too high, so I dropped the idea. So can You say about what this game is?

kamentierr
    Participant

This game is a Turn Based tactical rpg with Shadowrun setting. So yeah, it share the same Lore as the Pen&Paper RPGs and the novels and of course other Shadowrun video games. In this game you get to create your own character and you have to recruit other “Runners” to help you in a mission. The game is a bit linear though. As for the battle system it’s similar to X-Com but less complex.

So far there are 3 games in this “Returns” series: Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong each with their own self contained story.

“Watch your back, shoot straight, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon”.

That was actually the center point of the 2nd game, Dragonfall :woohoo:

What an ass...

DrakeDwarf
    Participant

Shadowruns are amazing. The first game isn’t so hot but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are very good IMO, excellent writing and quests.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.