Forums General General Chat Forum Updates

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mastertrek 1 month ago.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

This is a “recyclable” thread, meant to be used for new announcements regarding the forum. As such, all comments will occasionally be deleted when a problem is cleared up or a new update is announced.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

• This topic was modified 48 years ago by .
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I’ve installed a newer, slimmer, hopefully better, editor plugin. (I wrote it me self, I did…)

Both “Quote” and “Spoiler” should be much smoother now… When you click the spoiler button, it’ll actually leave a blank line in between the spoiler tags, so it’s easier to click there and type your message (as opposed to having to get in between the ][ brackets… which on a phone is a pain!)

Also, when you quote someone, the paragraph structure should be maintained now, so long messages won’t get squished into one un-readable block of text. 🙂

There’s also no more “Text” editor – so if anyone wants to add html code, you’ll need to click on the “Source Code” button all the way to the left, and enter it there. If you try to type html code in this editor it will look like : <strong>I’m supposed to be bold text!</strong>. (In other words, it won’t work, so don’t do it).  😛

There’s a button for adding images – that’s only adding a link to an external image (but then you can manipulate the height/width).

There’s also one for adding media – there are currently too many options in this one. The best way to use it is to click the “Embed” tab and add your embed code. This (should) work flawlessly with youtube and vimeo.

I made a few other adjustments as well, but if everything works the way I expect it to, then most of the changes should be permanent, and I’ll write up a “how to” to post in the Help forum.

Also you can still use some if not all of the bbCode, and that you can type straight into the editor:

This IS bold text, written using the bbCode for bold.

Any questions, concerns, or complaints, please let me know!

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Testing the spoiler feature

I’ve installed a newer, slimmer, hopefully better, editor plugin. (I wrote it me self, I did…)

Both “Quote” and “Spoiler” should be much smoother now… When you click the spoiler button, it’ll actually leave a blank line in between the spoiler tags, so it’s easier to click there and type your message (as opposed to having to get in between the ][ brackets… which on a phone is a pain!)

Also, when you quote someone, the paragraph structure should be maintained now, so long messages won’t get squished into one un-readable block of text. 🙂

There’s also no more “Text” editor – so if anyone wants to add html code, you’ll need to click on the “Source Code” button all the way to the left, and enter it there. If you try to type html code in this editor it will look like : <strong>I’m supposed to be bold text!</strong>. (In other words, it won’t work, so don’t do it).  😛

There’s a button for adding images – that’s only adding a link to an external image (but then you can manipulate the height/width).

There’s also one for adding media – there are currently too many options in this one. The best way to use it is to click the “Embed” tab and add your embed code. This (should) work flawlessly with youtube and vimeo.

I made a few other adjustments as well, but if everything works the way I expect it to, then most of the changes should be permanent, and I’ll write up a “how to” to post in the Help forum.

Also you can still use some if not all of the bbCode, and that you can type straight into the editor:

This IS bold text, written using the bbCode for bold.

Any questions, concerns, or complaints, please let me know!

1oldtymer
    Participant

Happiness…except now you need to maintain your creation 😆

So we can continue post bbcode tables as before?  (That is, just paste without needing to click on the Bold icon or the “source” icon)

Older, but not wiser

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Happiness…except now you need to maintain your creation 😆

So we can continue post bbcode tables as before?  (That is, just paste without needing to click on the Bold icon or the “source” icon)

I believe so, but you might want to test it in this thread just to verify.

You’ll see the bbcode in the editor but when you click submit it should render it the same as always.

EDIT: If you want to include a table or anything using HTML, and you already have the code, then you will need to click the Source Code button and figure out where to add your code.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

The one thing I forgot is to move the spoiler button so that on mobile it’s on the top row (so it won’t get hidden by mobile copy/paste). It’s a small fix but my brain is tired… 😆

So maybe tomorrow or the next day…

One useful new feature is if you accidentally hit the back button on mobile (which I’ve done), it’ll ask if you want to “leave” the page. If you cancel that prompt it puts you right back in the editor. (Without this feature your phone would just go back a page and you’d lose your whole message.)

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Here’s an example of adding a YouTube video through the media button. I can’t find a way to get the embed code on my tablet, but it looks like pasting the YouTube URL as the source might also populate the Embed dialogue…

EDIT My first attempt to add this video generated a 403 Error from my security plugin so the Media button might not work for other users at the moment… I’ll have to look into it after the weekend.

Here’s a test I did by copy/pasting the embed code while on desktop:

(On my test site, there was a noticeable difference between pasting the URL vs. pasting the embed code.)

Test Account

Ignore this post, it’s just MSG testing things with a non-admin account.  😛

Testing the spoiler feature

Media Button does **not** work for non-admins; it just tells you “403 Forbidden” and then spits out this code into your post:

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENPLzvWrv6I%5D

So, some tweaking needs to be done.

Mastertrek
    Participant

The one thing I forgot is to move the spoiler button so that on mobile it’s on the top row (so it won’t get hidden by mobile copy/paste). It’s a small fix but my brain is tired… 😆

So maybe tomorrow or the next day…

One useful new feature is if you accidentally hit the back button on mobile (which I’ve done), it’ll ask if you want to “leave” the page. If you cancel that prompt it puts you right back in the editor. (Without this feature your phone would just go back a page and you’d lose your whole message.)

tested that new feature and it is good (for me if I’d push the back button then forward button without that message like.. yesterday, the text won’t get deleted (used it sometimes to check if anyone is online during writing things) 

XV Member of the Organization XIII, The Heartless Angel.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I’ve removed the “Add Media” button, as I just couldn’t figure out what code is responsible for making it behave badly… if, someday, I can sort it out, I may put it back in. But in the meantime, I “believe” you can still link to youtube videos by just copy/pasting the URL on a separate line:

Also I moved the spoiler button, so that on small screens it will now stay on the first line (and hopefully not get covered by your phone’s “Copy/Paste” dialog….)

I’m trying to find an icon to replace the word “spoiler”, that could somewhat indicate that it’s for adding spoiler content – but so far the closest I’ve come is just a solid black square… which may do the trick, but I’m gonna look around a bit more… (But not until I’ve tried out Archlion Saga – 2-4 hours better still be worth it…)

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 1,281 Forums: 164 Topics: 1,084 Replies: 7,375