Forums General General Chat Forum Updates

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

This is a “recyclable” thread, meant to be used for new announcements regarding the forum. As such, all comments will occasionally be deleted when a problem is cleared up or a new update is announced.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

• This topic was modified 48 years ago by .
    5 users thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I think I’m ready to tackle the forum editor now…

My plan is to go back (for anyone who remembers that far) to the split, “Visual”/”Text” editor. The Visual side will have toolbar buttons for things like:
    Bold, Italic, Links, Tables (possibly)… and *hopefully* – Emojis. 🙂

The problem I had before was that all these buttons used HTML, and by default the forum software doesn’t allow regular members to post in HTML… so there’s potentially a way to correct for that…

So I’m experimenting on my pc right now, and when I’m fairly certain that everything will work I’m going to switch the forum editor.

What I really need to know from alll of you is – what “buttons” do you want to have available?

Bold?
    Italic?
    Font size/color?

I can literally pick and choose (as long as the choice is one that’s natively available!) There are some I’d rather not offer – like background color (on the basis that changing the background color on your post could make it harder to read), but all of the available options include:

bold
    italic
    strikethrough
    blockquote
    bullet list
    numbered list
    insert/edit link
    cut
    copy
    paste
    paste as text (which removes all formatting, and is needed if you copy from Google Docs or Microsoft Word)
    horizontal line
    insert/edit image
    insert/edit video
    table (including options for adding table rows or columns),
    special characters
    clear formatting
    font size
    font color
    fullscreen
    emoticons
    undo
    redo

there’s also an option for “toggle toolbar,” which would allow me to put buttons on like, two separate rows, but only show the top row by default, so it wouldn’t take up too much space on mobile.

I’d much prefer to limit the number of buttons available to either the most common – or the most requested. (For example if there’s not a big demand for say, a table button, or insert video button, then I’d leave them out.)

You’ll still be able to use the appropriate code (though it may be a mix of HTML and BBcode); there just won’t be buttons for everything under the sun… emoji test – 😉

So if there are shortcut buttons you absolutely want to have included (and that will actually work much nicer than the current selection), you’ve got to let me know, either here or by PM. The ones that people ask for will take top consideration.

1oldtymer
    Participant

As long as we can paste both an Excel spreadsheet and a table (either bbc or html, as long as we know what is supported), I don’t think we need buttons for tables, etc. I notice on your list you didn’t include “spoiler,” which I think we must have.

Older, but not wiser

1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Yeah I overlooked that one…. I’ll need to write the code to add it in but I think I can manage that now.

(Actually all I have to do is take the current “spoiler” button code, and copy/paste it into a directory where I can include it in the new editor toolbar… I think… either way it’s one I definitely want to keep)

Jesusalva
    Participant

Well, here is my selection.

First RowSecond RowLeave out!

What I see being more used are Bold, Italic, Underline and Strikethrough. Actually the last two I haven’t seen but they’re the most basic markup we use in documents.

Hyperlinks are also something you usually should include, along spoilers and images. Video is not the most popular tag, but I already saw it a few times. I dunno. I never used the youtube tag.

Lists are something you should leave although no one really uses (just see, you should have included all that stuff in a list, instead of breaking new lines!) Maybe with new editor they start using it?

clear formatting does the job of special-paste, so you should include it instead of a special paste button.

Headings are a basic way to separate content.

Tables may or may not be interesting. 1oldtymer seems to be in the group that uses that resource the most. Personally I use tabs instead (just like now).

horizontal line (aka. hr) is good for separating content without creating multiple posts, and also interesting to make a TL;DR, but is not mandatory. It’s like heading without a text.

Undo/Redo are more likely to be of use on mobile than on desktop, where we can use ‘Ctrl+Z’ and ‘Ctrl+Shift+Z’ for these tasks.

fullscreen – I can’t see why would need that, but…

emoticons are superior to special characters. Special characters can be kept as a cheat-sheet in the help topic.

Quote sometimes is used, so it may be interesting to leave a button at second row.

Well, I still haven’t saw people messing with most of “cool formating” stuff, and you probably could leave only at the help topic, like:

text colors

text alignment

font size

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+X are usually provided when you right click the text area (or double-tap, on mobile). So you can remove them, along the special paste button.

Special characters is better for a cheat sheet.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jesusalva. Reason: Leave the commands in bold to be easier to spot them

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

😎

Assuming this message posts, it’s the first one I’ve written with the new forum editor.

As you will see, there are only a few buttons at the moment… this is subject to change, but the ones that I included seem to be the ones that would be most used.

Except....
    I tested everything on my pc
    and it seems to work

Even when I’m logged in as a “regular” member vs. admin.

Having said that, however, I’m sure someone will use HTML code that I have not anticipated, so there could be a few bugs I still need to work out….

Anyway

You can easily switch between “Visual” and “Text.” Text mode shows you the code you’re using, and visual, well, just looks kind of like you’re using Microsoft Word or something (only with fewer options)  🙄

While you CAN use BBcode and some HTML in the Text editor

You must use the buttons in Visual mode in order to format your message

You can’t just type <strong>bold text</strong> …. however, you can still use bbcode:

[b]bold text[/b] will produce bold text

Please test as much as you can think of… I’ll be close to the computer all day so if something’s not working I can either fix it, or reset back to the previous editor, and try again…

Jesusalva
    Participant

There’s no visual preview for tabs but they work nonetheless.
    Great job! (Although it takes eons to load and I need to keep switching Visual/Text tabs to load everything 😳 )

First RowSecond RowLeave out!

What I see being more used are Bold, Italic, Underline and Strikethrough. Actually the last two I haven’t seen but they’re the most basic markup we use in documents.

Hyperlinks are also something you usually should include, along spoilers and images. Video is not the most popular tag, but I already saw it a few times. I dunno. I never used the youtube tag.

Lists are something you should leave although no one really uses (just see, you should have included all that stuff in a list, instead of breaking new lines!) Maybe with new editor they start using it?

clear formatting does the job of special-paste, so you should include it instead of a special paste button.

Headings are a basic way to separate content.

Tables may or may not be interesting. 1oldtymer seems to be in the group that uses that resource the most. Personally I use tabs instead (just like now).

horizontal line (aka. hr) is good for separating content without creating multiple posts, and also interesting to make a TL;DR, but is not mandatory. It’s like heading without a text.

Undo/Redo are more likely to be of use on mobile than on desktop, where we can use ‘Ctrl+Z’ and ‘Ctrl+Shift+Z’ for these tasks.

fullscreen – I can’t see why would need that, but…

emoticons are superior to special characters. Special characters can be kept as a cheat-sheet in the help topic.

Quote sometimes is used, so it may be interesting to leave a button at second row.

Well, I still haven’t saw people messing with most of “cool formating” stuff, and you probably could leave only at the help topic, like:

text colors

text alignment

font size

Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+X are usually provided when you right click the text area (or double-tap, on mobile). So you can remove them, along the special paste button.

Special characters is better for a cheat sheet.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Jesusalva.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Yeah, on my local version the Visual editor loads straightaway… but here I have to click on it to make it load… So, I need to see if I can solve that.

I decided to just go with one row of buttons, and not very many at that. I put in the table button because it’s an easy way to create a table, add/remove rows and columns, etc. (Though 1oldtymer always pre-writes his tables anyway, someone else might find it useful.)

I left out “insert image” because right now it only lets you link to external images… so for now that “Attachments” option is still the way to go. Attachments won’t show until you publish the post though. In fact no BBcode will render until you’ve published the post… but the HTML stuff looks pretty good in the Visual editor.

Full Screen – I put this one in (all the way to the right) for people that want to create long guides, etc. On my pc, it’s pretty awesome. (I haven’t tried it on my phone so I don’t know how well it works on mobile.)

As time goes on I can add/remove buttons, if the need arises. But first I want to see how the current setup works for everyone.

Jesusalva
    Participant

Err, you’re aware that I only copy-pasted the latest tab I’ve wrote for testing purposes, right? 😳

I’ve checked script and style tags, they don’t work (As expected). I did not tested link and meta tags, besides head tags (eg. title). Nor have I tested iframe but these tags are commonly blocked because… you know… loading external data may be dangerous! :blush:

Fullscreen works well on my computer.

Well… nothing else to report, besides emotions being rendered in UTF8 and for some weird reason and against all my other browsers my firefox not rendering the website favicon. 😛

Now, if my Chrome did such thing I would be upset, but it is firefox, so I’m disregarding this possible issue (just like it rendering the page thrice – one without any formation, twice with the default bbPress (?) default stylesheet, and thrice with the correct CSS.)

If these problems appear to anyone else please let @msg-commander know.

Right, @jesusalva ? (Yes, I am testing @ references. Sorry 🙂 )

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Huh, I myself only get the favicon on about half the pages I just loaded – and that’s among game pages, forums, and the blog… strange…

And yes, I figured you copy-pasted… lol.  😯

The emoticons rendering in UTF-8 (if by that you mean that it’s just a text representation?) I think it does it that way so they can render at the browser level? (As if I know what I’m talking about haha…..)

@ mentions do work! There’s apparently even some way to set it up so that the member gets an email notification when someone mentions them, but I never set it up because it looked really hard, and plus you have to know the correct lower case name to use, and I don’t know how to make those @ names display in the forum…

About the scripts/styles you checked… please send me a PM or email with specific file names or what-have-you, as I HAVE NO IDEA what you’re talking about  😥

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.