Site Updates

Written by MSG Commander

Forums General General Chat Site Updates

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 4 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

This topic is for announcing new or future updates to the site, and the content will be “recycled” when new announcements are made.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

2 users thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I have made the first small step on the “Games” page toward making all games sortable by title, category, platform, and developer (but I can only test it on Chrome and Firefox on my pc, and Chrome on my phone and tablet.)

Please go to https://www.rpginsanity.com/games/ and observe the new Search Box at the top left of the screen. As you type the title of the game you want, it will filter out all other games. When you have the whole title, or enough of the title that those letters don’t belong in any other title, you will see only one game on the screen!

This should also work in reverse: if you have only one game showing, and then you use backspace to remove one letter at a time, as your “search” gets shorter it should re-introduce matching games, until your search box is empty and it’s again showing all games. (Hopefully that sentence isn’t too confusing… it’s easy to show what happens, but harder to explain what happens…)

Also, if you click on the “Reset” button, it will clear the search field and display all the games again.

Anyway, please test this search box and leave any feedback here. Let me know if it works, if you encounter any bugs or any problems. Ultimately I aim to make it so as you scroll down the page, the search box is always available at the top of the browser, but that might not happen until next week or the week after. (I am deliberately taking me time, hoping that all this new learning will actually sink in for a change!)

If this works across all browsers and all devices, I plan to also incorporate some method for filtering games by category, platform, and developer… but that might not even happen this month…

1 user thanked author for this post.

1oldtymer
    Participant

Works GREAT on my PC.
    Works well, but not so great on my tablet: my virtual keyboard hogs the screen so I can barely see the top row of results, but the function does work exactly as it should.

Older, but not wiser

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Works GREAT on my PC.
    Works well, but not so great on my tablet: my virtual keyboard hogs the screen so I can barely see the top row of results, but the function does work exactly as it should.

I found that same issue only worse on my Samsung phone. The keyboard covers everything but the input box… and to make it worse the virtual keyboard has a magnifying glass “search” button, that when I tap on it, it does absolutely nothing. So there’s some tweaking that needs to get done.

I’m also looking for an easy, straight JavaScript autocomplete function (along the lines of google’s autocomplete, or the autocomplete on this site when you go to your profile and compose a private message…) I’ve found a few references but I’m not ready to experiment with them just yet… maybe tomorrow… or maybe next week…

Jesusalva
    Participant

Usually it is better to disable the feature entirely when using a mobile browser.

Well, Google did disabled Instant Search because it looked awful on mobile interfaces, anyway… 😛

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

3beez
    Participant

The keyboard (on Samsung S6) does take up a lot of real estate, but I just scrolled the page until the search box was at the very top. That leaves plenty of room for me to see the game. I really like that you don’t have to type in the entire game title. The ‘Asdivine’ series has lots of titles, but if I’m looking for ‘Asdivine Cross,’ I only have to type ‘Cross.’ So, this feature is definitely lazy-friendly!

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    2 users thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Even more lazy-friendly – there’s also now a fancy shmancy “Category” drop down menu… which I coded myself…

Now that I have those two things done I’m going to take the weekend off from learning (before I break anything and start going into convulsions!)

Anyway, as I grow more comfortable with coding, hopefully I’ll be able to add some more really cool features. (And maybe someday, find/create a forum editor that is easier to understand)

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

User reviews are temporarily broken… 🙁

The developer who wrote that plugin released a new update today and like a fool I updated it without testing it first (so now user reviews don’t work until the dev can fix the plugin.)

I’ve turned reviews completely off until I hear back from the dev.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.