question about the site/ads

Written by Kyndig

Forums General General Chat question about the site/ads

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kyndig
    Participant

is there any way to remove the ads i see on this site before and after i log in? i mean is there an ad blocker i have to buy or something? or is there an option to remove ads that the site admin aka msg commander can implement and do?

Islandi
    Participant

Yes, there is. AdBlock Plus is a good ad blocker extension for Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers. Plus, it’s free and open-source.
    You only need to install on your preferred browser.
    Here’s the link: https://adblockplus.org/

3beez
    Participant

I know ads are annoying, but don’t forget it costs MSG Commander $$$ to keep this site up and running. The ads help defray his costs a bit. No ads usually means membership fees. ??

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I know ads are annoying, but as 3beez points out, they do pay for the hosting, and the couple of paid plugins that I’m using. Plus I purposely set the ads to be as non-intrusive as possible, and I only run 3 ads per page, unlike most web sites I view on my phone where it’s like 3 ads in between each paragraph. 😛

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s currently set up so that when you log in, the ad across the top of the page does not show up? If it does, then my plugin is not doing what it’s supposed to do. (Basically when you’re logged in, you should only see the two ads on the side of the screen – or at the bottom of the page, if you’re on mobile.)

As for removing them completely, again the only way I could do that would be to charge a membership fee, which I could look into for anyone who’s willing to pay, but you’d basically only be paying to remove the ads, as it is my intention to keep this site 100% free for everyone, forever.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Islandi
    Participant

3 ads per page is fine for me (and all is well without music).

There are some websites where they literally spam ads and pop-ups.
    Sometimes they even insert ads with music or videos, making me search and “kill” them off.
    That’s when I don’t show mercy with my ad blocker.
    Those 3 ads in between each paragraph you mentioned, are equivalent to spam for me. It’s atrocious and I manually block + filter the frames.

Zherk01
    Participant

I only see 2 ads and they are placed properly so that it doesn’t disturbed your browsing. Ads, membership or donation? I have no problem with the last two but most people will rather prefer ads.

You can also block access for people trying to access the site with an enabled adblocker plugin on their browser but I don’t think MSG will go that far lol.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

Dont get Adblock plus for chrome. They’ve been “whitelisting” sites to allow them to run ads. Get uBlock orgin instead.

We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.

Kyndig
    Participant

good to know there is only 3 ads and that it is by msg doing, i was kinda afraid i had some adware/malware. i don’t mind paying a fee each month for removing ads, but if we do that i think a poll might be a good idea to run the idea through all users first. but i also hope that said fee is not too high..

i’ll look into those adblockers you guys mentioned and see if they are worth it.

msg: 2 on side and one at top before logging in, and 2 on side afterwards is what i see atm. so looks like it is working.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Just doing some quick browsing, it looks like I could easily add a PayPal subscribe button to the site. Don’t know if I would exclusively use PayPal but it seems like a decent starting point.

I’d like to ask $5.00 USD per month, to turn off ads when you’re logged in. If enough people think that sounds reasonable I can add this to my “to research” list (but I do want to update the Reviews section first… since that keeps getting put off…)

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

3beez
    Participant

I’m good with the ads. And honestly, $5/month is a big deal right now. Even if I had it to spare, I wouldn’t do a fee just to get rid of the ads. To help MSG Commander, yes; ads, no. But here’s a thought: If you’re going set up PayPal for a recurring charge, make sure that it also has an​ option for one-time donations? So if we have a bit of jingly just languishing, we could toss it your way.

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.