User Reviews

Written by MSG Commander

Forums General General Chat User Reviews

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)
  • Author

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I’m testing a couple of different plugins for enhancing user reviews. The first one I’ve tried seems nice enough, but it doesn’t look like it allows for a user to edit their review once posted. (Maybe that’s not important though?)

Anyway, what I’m looking to do is create a system where members can rate each game according to multiple categories, as well as leaving a written review of the game. Theoretically, I can create a system where you can “5-star” unlimited categories; however, I’d like to limit it to no more than 5-7.

What I’d like to know is, what categories should be included? (Gameplay, graphics, story? What else?)

Please include a list of no more than 7 categories that you would like to see. The most popular items will take the highest priority.

Here’s an example screenshot of the plugin I just finished testing:

reviewcapture

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

• This topic was modified 47 years ago by .
    Attachments:

Islandi
    Participant

For categories, I’d recommend:
    Gameplay
    Story
    User-Interface (Menu & Navigation outside of battle. placement & design of pad controls, dungeon/field maps etc)
    Battle System
    Skill System
    Graphics
    Music

2 users thanked author for this post.

J. D. Guy
    Participant

Gameplay
    Story
    User-Interface (Menu & Navigation outside of battle. placement & design of pad controls, dungeon/field maps etc)
    Battle System
    Skill System
    Graphics
    Music

I’ll second this layout, with an addendum to “Skill System” with “Growth System” (so “Skill/Growth System”), as those two categories tend to go hand-in-hand, and some games are more robust and complex (and maybe a tad confusing at times) than others. For example, Unlucky Mage (which I’ve finished) and Infinite Dunamis (which I’ve just begun and already can tell the differences) are like night and day in their Skill/Growth Systems, with the former being as straightforward as getting the current Weapons/Armor Upgrades and maybe toggling the Accessories, whereas the latter is… more than that.

Also, Hi! 😀 Been a good while. 🙂

1oldtymer
    Participant

I would add “Post-Game” or “NG+” or whatever you want to call it.

Older, but not wiser

1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Gameplay
    Story
    Battle System
    Skill System
    Graphics
    Music

I like the first five, and at first I thought about doing graphics and music as well. However, I’m not sure that they’re as important as the others when it comes to reviewing a game. I mean, good graphics and music can make the game more enjoyable, but there isn’t a single Kemco game I’ve played where the graphics or music would influence whether I recommend the game or not. And a low score for music would lower the overall score for the game.

But there are some games where the user interface, for example, is a real pain – like Crystareino. (It’s a pain getting through all those menus, and I never remember to place items in my character’s inventory, and then when someone dies I’m like, “Oh, right, I bought the reviving item but no one has it equipped.”) But, it has a really great story to make up for it, so it’d probably still get a good score.

Or others, like Dark Seven, that offer a really cool skill system, but the game itself isn’t long enough to really explore it, and so the only way to really grow your skills is in the bonus content, which I never did for that game so I don’t know if the skill system is all that great or not…

But those are the kind of things I think about when someone asks if I would recommend a game.

I would add “Post-Game” or “NG+” or whatever you want to call it.

I’d thought about that, but not every game has post-game content, so I’d have to be able to create multiple review forms – one with post-game (or bonus content), and one without. Which would require me to know as I create the form, whether the game has it or not. Not impossible, but it may be more effort than it’s worth.

3beez
    Participant

I don’t do reviews, so feel free to ignore me. ?But couldn’t things like post game/ ng+ go in the pro/con area? For instance:

Pros:

Multiple endings
      Post game content (Extra dungeon, bonus arena and more)
      Good items in IAP store
      Google achievements

Or perhaps just a landing page for the reviewer to read before writing the review? It could give a brief blurb on what they should consider including in the review.

Other things to consider including in your review:
      Are there multiple endings?
      Is there post game content or NG+?
      Are there multiple difficulty settings?

DISCLAIMER: The items in the lists are not actual things I think should be included. I was just making stuff up on the fly for lists. ?

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

That actually sounds like the perfect solution – especially since the plugin I’m testing allows for multiple pros and cons. That frees people up to list whatever they want!

3beez, you’re brilliant!

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Okay, I have a “Test Review” page set up:

https://rpginsanity.com/test-review/

What I need is for as many people as possible to leave a user review on this page. This will let me see how it works with multiple reviews, and will determine whether I keep this plugin or not.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Thank you to Searinox and Azyleo for adding their reviews! (Though I now see, that I need to either limit the character count for reviews, or find out how to maintain the paragraph structure…)

I’m emailing back and forth with the dev for this plugin, to try and figure out what all is possible right now, and what plans he has for the future of the plugin, so that I can get everything set up and can plan accordingly before I roll it out for all games.

My plan right now is to set “User Reviews” on the main landing pages in the walkthroughs section. (So in the near future, if you go to the main page for Alphadia, for example, you’ll see the “Developer,” “Platforms,” etc., and at the bottom of that page will be the user reviews.) This will help to keep all the specific game data together, but it will also rule out the possibility of having a “reviews” page to show which games currently have reviews. But overall I think it’s the best approach.

Meanwhile, I am going to preserve the actual “Reviews” that members have submitted – but I think I’m going to convert that section into a blog. I have just the slightest idea how I want the blog to go, so I don’t want to give any details at the moment… just want peeps to know what direction I’m taking.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I have one “legit” user review loaded for Aeon Avenger: https://rpginsanity.com/aeon-avenger/
    And one for Asdivine Hearts 2: https://rpginsanity.com/asdivine-hearts-2/ (but I didn’t finish this game, so I haven’t left a review of my own)

I don’t want to rush and add all the other games at once, though I am certain that this is the review system we’ll be using. If anyone wants me to add another game right away, just reply to this with the game title and I’ll set it up. (Eventually I’ll have this set up for every Kemco game, but I have too many other things going on right now to do them all at once.)

P.S. As of now, once you submit a review you will not be able to make any changes. Also, this review system is best for short reviews, as it removes all the blank space between paragraphs. (The dev says he may change these with a future update though.)

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.