Support this site on Patreon

Written by MSG Commander

Forums General General Chat Support this site on Patreon

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Hey everyone,

I want to let you all know I’ve set up a page on Patreon for anyone who wants to contribute financially to this site (link at the bottom of this post). Contributing is strictly voluntary and has no bearing on your status on this site (except, I’ll probably answer your PMs quicker). It’s just a way for those people who want to contribute to say “Thank you” for all the behind-the-scenes work that goes into keeping this site running.

Everything I publish on this site is free for everyone and always will be, and I’m totally cool if you can’t or don’t want to contribute. I love working on this site and creating guides, and will keep doing so regardless – but the members who can afford a little something, will make it easier for me to keep up with hosting fees and paid professional plugins to improve site security and the overall user experience.

Here’s a few things you should know about Patreon before deciding to sign up:

1. There are special “rewards” on Patreon for anyone who contributes, and mainly these rewards boil down to being able to communicate directly with me on Patreon and possibly help to shape the future direction of this site. (i.e. vote on future walkthroughs)

However, in regards to this site, all contributions are essentially a show of appreciation (call it a donation, a gift, a tip, what have you). You are not paying for any service or special status on rpginsanity.com.

2. Patreon is set up as an ongoing “subscription” model, so if you pledge a certain dollar amount, you’ll be paying that amount every month (it starts at $1/month, and then there are some other options above that). Payments are processed on the first of each month, so if you sign up in the middle or at the end of a month, your first charge will be on the month after you sign up.

3. 90% of all contributions go directly to me. 5% goes to Patreon and the other 5% goes toward “fees.” Additionally, there is a processing fee on each payment, and Patreon charges that fee to you, not me. In the US, it’s 5% plus $0.30, so the actual amount you pay would be something like:

$1 = $1.35
    $3 = $3.45
    $5 = $5.55

and so on.

Additionally, if you live in a country that has VAT, this will also be added to your cost. Patreon charges VAT based on your location at the time of purchase, and automatically adds it on to the amount you will pay.

4. You can change the dollar amount you want to pledge at any time, and you can also cancel your subscription at any time. (Note that because it is an ongoing subscription, you will be charged every month unless you cancel.)

There is no direct option for a one-time donation; however, this can be achieved: simply sign up and pledge a monthly dollar amount, and wait for the 1st day of the next month for your payment to be processed. Once the payment goes through, you can then cancel your pledge, thereby effectively making a one-time payment. (Note: although Patreon does allow this, I personally don’t encourage people to use it as a one-time option. It’s too easy to forget to cancel, and then continue to get billed for something you’d only meant to do the one time.)

5. They do accept credit cards or PayPal – however, in order to pay with PayPal, your PayPal account must have a credit card attached. (It’s apparently the only way that PayPal will allow you to set up a recurring subscription.)

6. Lastly, you do have to create an account on Patreon in order to contribute to my page. Once you do become a contributor, I’ll be able to see “who” has contributed, but everyone else will only see “that” I have a number of contributors.

Well, that should cover all the important details (or, at least, everything that I know at this time). Along with this post, I’ve also placed a “Support us on Patreon” link on the website, which goes directly to my Patreon page as well.

Also, I am still looking into ways to accept one-time donations, so if anybody is interested in that, feel free to send me a PM and we’ll see if we can work something out.

Again, any donations are strictly voluntary. I’m going to keep adding to this site regardless – so you’re not paying me to “produce,” but merely saying “thanks” for the work that I’ve already done.

And here’s the link to my Patreon page:
    https://www.patreon.com/rpginsanity

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.