Recommend games to add to the site here!

Written by MSG Commander

Forums General General Chat Recommend games to add to the site here!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jesusalva 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

This is a catch-all topic for anyone who wants to recommend games to add to this site.

Recommendations must be for mobile or Steam games, and should be primarily RPG games, or games with RPG elements (like skill growth, equipment upgrades, character growth, etc.)

It will help me a lot if you provide the name of the game and a recommended genre* (to help me sort games by ‘Category’)

If only the name is provided, I can still work with that, but it’ll take me longer to put everything else together.

* All games are sorted by “Category,” “Developers,” and “Platforms.” I can typically work out the developers and the platforms with a quick Google search – but I SUCK at figuring out which category to assign.

Since the categories are meant to be loosely tied to genres like action RPGs, platformer, dungeon crawler, etc., providing a recommended genre will make that part go much smoother.

(Recommended games will be added to the “Games” section of the site, and to the forums, at my convenience.)

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

• This topic was modified 47 years ago by .

Travelman31
    Participant

I’ve been playing a lot of fun 2d side scroller games, some with rpg elements, but all are fun.

1. Devious Dungeon 1 and 2 – side scrollers with rpg elements
    2. pixel sword
    3. pixel arrow
    4. pixel staff – all kind of metroidvania games
    5. tiny necromancer
    6. guardian quest – 8bit rpg
    7. Idle sword – short rpg style game that is mostly idle
    8. Merlins adventure – 2d side scrolling puzzle platformer, hard.
    9. Mystic guardian – gorgeous action rpg similar to djinn caster
    10. magic traps – again, a hard puzzle sytle 2d platformer
    11. tel and aitch – fun and short metroidvania style game
    12. saga rpg 1 and 2 – old school rpgs
    13. TLK: Mobile rpg – fun old school rpg
    14. Dragons blade – epic 16 bit style rpg
    15. dotquest en – fun 8 bit style rpg
    16. pixel wizard – fun game
    17. magic rampage – fun side scroller with rpg elements
    18. swordigo – super fun 2d side scroller with rpg elements, like a modern zelda 2
    19. east new world – fun 2d style game with rpg elements
    20. aurum blade – great action rpg
    21. mage gauntlet – amazing adventure game with rpg elements

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Yowzers! That’s an impressive list. 🙂

I’ve played a few of those myself, like Swordigo, Magic Rampage, and Mage Gauntlet (though none of them to completion.)

Question: for the straight up 2d side scrollers, can I get away with grouping them all under “Action RPGs,” or do I need to add an additional category? If so, what would it be? (I suck at figuring out which genre a game belongs in, and I tend to group a lot of stuff together that makes sense to me but might not make sense to everyone else…)

EDIT: Never mind; I put them under “Platformers.”

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .

LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

I would add both Lowlander 1 and 2 as they nare pretty good spiritual sucessors to ultima

We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

1. Devious Dungeon 1 and 2 – side scrollers with rpg elements

ARGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Devious Dungeon 1 and 2 are either developed by “Ravenous Games” or “Noodlecake Studios” depending on whether you look on Google Play or iTunes!!!!
    WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? (I’m just gonna go with Ravenous Games for now, since I think that’s the original developer, plus it’s not like it *really* matters that much one way or the other… I just wish there was some consistency between the two platforms…)

1oldtymer
    Participant

I looked at both websites (Ravenous Games and Noodlecake Studios), and it appears to me that Ravenous Games is the developer and Noodlecake Studios is the publisher.

Older, but not wiser

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I looked at both websites (Ravenous Games and Noodlecake Studios), and it appears to me that Ravenous Games is the developer and Noodlecake Studios is the publisher.

I thought that might be the case but I wasn’t sure how to tell which was which (so I just assigned both ‘teams’ as developers, since I don’t have a separate category for “Publisher,” nor do I want to create one.)

On another note (after I’ve added a few games and realized the work that goes into it), as people recommend games it would help me a lot if you could provide:

1. the name of the game
    2. a recommended genre* (to help me sort games by ‘Category’)
    3. a screenshot to use on the main “Game” page (screenshots need to be 1024 x 640 px; png or jpg is fine; just add it as an attachment so I can grab it and put it on the page)
    EDIT: A screenshot is not necessary, as I can easily pull images from the game description on Google Play/iTunes. /EDIT

If only the name is provided, I can still work with that, but it’ll take me longer to put everything else together.

* All games are sorted by “Category,” “Developers,” and “Platforms.” I can typically work out the developers and the platforms with a quick Google search – but I SUCK at figuring out which category to assign. Since the categories are meant to be loosely tied to genres like action RPGs, platformer, dungeon crawler, etc., providing a recommended genre will make that part go much smoother.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I’ve got all of Travelman’s games added now – and now I need about a month and a half to play through them all; some of them look pretty darn good. 🙂

While browsing through Google Play, I came across this little game that I wishlisted like a year ago:

Nimble Quest

I finally gave it a whirl and I’m totally hooked now on this ridiculous, I guess you would call it a rogue-like but it’s too darn silly, so I have NO clue what category to put it under but I def want to add it to the site! If anyone has played it – how would you categorize the game? (And if you haven’t played it, go check it out; it’s free download and you’ll know in 30 seconds whether you love it or hate it…)

Also, just to let everyone know, as I get recommended games added on to the site, I will periodically go through and delete comments from this thread to keep it cleaned up…

Travelman31
    Participant

Another game. Epic Warrior: Sword of Light. This is a classic 8 bit style JRPG very similar to Dragon warrior 1 and 2 for the nes. It has tons of grinding and can be beat around level 23 and 24 (but again, do not be fooled, levels come slowly in this game!).

Ancient empire is a SRPG.

Black tower Enigma is a puzzle adventure game.

Not sure if I mentioned Sword of Xolan, an nes/8bit style platformer.

Hammers quest, not sure how to label that.

Wow, that is impressive (that you added all those games!)

Will you add a metroidvania genre to the site for the four games that could fit under that category? pixel sword, pixel arrow, pixel staff and tel and aitch) are THAT STYLE of game? Metroidvania seems to have become a genre where games follow the 2d sidescrolling open ended gameplay of NES/SNES Metroid and some of the Castlevania games.

Numbers 1, 8, 10 and 16 could probably just be platformers.

Perhaps you can make a sub category under platformers for “platformers with rpg elements” such as east new world, swordingo, devious dungeon 1 and 2 and magic rampage?

Numbers 9, 20 (and perhaps 21) could be considered action rpgs, especially those first two.

Numbers 6, 7, 12, 13, 14 and 15 would be considered classic style JRPGs. Number 7 is specifically an classic style idle rpg.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Eh, I’ve had a lot of free time this last week. Going forward, I probably won’t add 20 games in 3 days lol…

For now, I want to do my best to limit the number of top level categories. The dropdown on the “Games” page right now is just about perfect for mobile viewing, but if I add too many options, I’m afraid it will start to get overwhelming. What I can do, though, is to ‘tag’ certain games as metroidvania, or side scroller, etc., and if I end up with a large list of platformers, then I can maybe add a second dropdown when you’re viewing platformers (or some other way to “refine” the listing, to only show metroidvania, etc.)

Next week I start in on 2 hours a day of studying and practicing javascript and php, and then my free time will be mostly devoted to finishing the Fernz Gate walkthrough, and playing some of these new games.

I probably have another dozen games I could add, just from my download history, but I’d have to go through and see what they were; the only one I remember off the top of my head was Shadowrun Returns, which is an awesome game.

Anyway thanks for the recommendations; as I said before I’ve played a few of them, but the ones I haven’t played certainly look worth checking out. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.