Forums General General Chat Spoiler button test

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mastertrek 6 months ago.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@1oldtymer @jesusalva @zherkzone @ anyone else who’s been waiting for this one…ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Well, if I did everything correctly, the forum editor now has a working spoiler button.

Spoiler
    Just click the word ‘spoiler’ then enter a title (or leave it at the default “Spoiler”, and it’ll still work just fine).

You can even type out your paragraphs before-hand, andย then click ‘spoiler – and it will insert the spoiler tags, whilst still maintaining the highlighted text!

Which is...
    Which is AWESOME!

(Now, it doesn’t necessarily jive 100% with standard WordPress coding for editor plugins…. but… as long as it works, we can totes use it!)

So somebody please give it a whirl, and let me know what you think.ย  ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Just don’t “Quote” a post that uses the spoiler – or the spoiler code will break….

Mastertrek

New Button?
    Let’s keep it in Secret, ok?

Or better share it with everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

ย 

Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

Mastertrek
    New Button?
    Letโ€™s keep it in Secret, ok?
    Or better share it with everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

Awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s NOT true that Quote button reveals all hidden Spoilers like they never existed. At least for me it shows exactly that every spoiler is hidden.ย 

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Mastertrek.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@mastertrek Awesome! Thanks for testing that. I just hit “Quote” and then when everything appeared inside the editor it looked like the spoiler code didn’t work inside a quote. I never tried to publish the post though… I’m so glad that itย does work.ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Mastertrek

I thought the same so I simply assumed the effect but I got surprised by that xd.

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

Jesusalva
    Participant

It works but...

Some pages doesn’t render BBCode. For example, in Activity>Mentions there is a post preview, and spoiler BBCode was rendered a simple text. It happens on other feeds too, for example, see my activity by clicking on “Jesusalva” at left.

Other than that, it is great! ๐Ÿ˜€

(Do not think in adding a “tabs” button, I can’t even imagine how that would look. If you want to save more page space, maybe Attachments section could be reworked, so “Submit” button is closer to the textarea.)

@msg-commander Sorry for not responding earlier, the email just got drowned in an ocean of Gitlab broken pipelines D:

License checks are truly annoying pipelines.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Thanks @jesusalva and no worries about the late reply.

It’s good to know that it doesn’t render on the Activity pages. It looks like they just don’t show ANY of the text within the spoiler box? Which is fine; it’s just not what one would expect. (Although, I’ve been planning to do away with the activity pages anyway; the only reason I still have them is because if I turn that off, then no one will get an email when their name is @mentioned…)

TL;DR (Also meant to be fun and light-hearted, and if you read it all the way to the end there’s a reward. Kidding not kidding. No, I am kidding. There is no reward, except the satisfaction of knowing you’ll never get back the time you invested into reading to the end…)

The Activity pages are part of “BuddyPress” which is an official WordPress plugin that handles all the member pages, the friends, activity, etc… Out-of-the-box, I don’t think BuddyPress is really super amazing (to put it mildly). However, it’s one of those things – if I didn’t have BuddyPress installed, we would all have member profile pages through bbPress (the forum software), so that would be good – but nobody would be able to send Private Messages (which would be kind of a downer)…

So, I’m saddled with an entire plug-in that personally, I find to be only so-so, but that allows sending PMs (which is the only part of it that I really want to keep).

I mean, sure, some of the other parts of the member pages are neat, in concept, but in execution it’s just… meh…

Now of course it can all be customized, but that also requires digging into the code and figuring out what to hook into – and since in my opinion the member pages are not that essential (I mean, people can still use the forum, with or without them), re-designing that section of the site just isn’t high on my list.

But, on this latest update to the site’s theme, I did discover all sorts of action and filter events in bbPress (the forum software), that could, potentially, some day in the not too distant future, if I am persistent in my studies and continue to understand the relationships between all the coding languages that WordPress uses…

… could just maybe allow me to enhance the overall user experience on forum pages – and that is totally worth digging into, because all the dedicated fans will use the forum as-is, even if it is hard to figure some things out… but a lot of people just won’t do “hard” to begin with… it’s like the movie “Field of Dreams” but in reverse: “If you confuse them, they will (not) come.”

Anyway. The current attachments upload is handled through a paid plugin, so I don’t want to go messing with it, but I too have thought it takes up a lot of space, where it doesn’t really have to. So it’s not on my list yet, but it is on my radar.

(I know that WordPress has its own code for handling attachments, and I’ll bet the attachment plugin just hooks into that code, and I bet if I knew how to hook into the code I could put an attachment button inside the editor toolbar, possibly with a cute little paper clip icon so people know it’s for attachments… but that’s something I don’t want to mess with until I 100% know, for myself, that I can do so without opening myself up to allowing “evil” or malicious attachments… which may be very simple but that doesn’t mean I’ll understand it just from reading up on the subject for 5 minutes… so it may happen someday but probably not any time real soon.)

At the moment, my success with the spoiler button is inspiring me to re-examine the forum editor (which will mean changing some buttons), and to write up my first full-fledged plugin, to includeย just the Visual editor (because really, Visual + Text = Confusing, and most people don’t need both options), and of course to include spoiler support.

(Though the other buttons in the editor toolbar all spit out HTML, so as long as I can get the forum to accept those specific HTML tags from all users, and as long as most forum users anywhere in the world probably never think of using anything but the buttons that are available in the first place… with the exception of those few who want to really style their posts and if I could add a “source code” button, and some sort of “style guide” somewhere, than those few users like yourself, 1oldtymer, and others who would like extra functionality but which functionality is not needed by the majority…)

Okay I’m going to stop rambling now because this is just getting ridiculous (like it wasn’t already ridiculous 10 paragraphs ago….)ย  ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Suffice it to say I am aware of every part of the site that “doesn’t suck” and every part that “does suck,” and as long as the forum “doesn’t suck” I can live with pages (like Activity) that do… at least until I’ve learned enough code that I can change or remove the areas that “still suck…” Little by little, I’ll get it all sorted out…

Meanwhile I’m glad that the spoiler button only spoils, and doesn’t suck. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Zherk01
    Participant

Really well-done but there’s a slight problem with highlighting a text at the first line as you can’t click the spoiler button as the copy paste thingy pop-up menu blocks it. I used Samsung browser but I’m sure it affects FF, Chrome and other browsers.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Justice Chronicles | Unlucky Hero | Fernz Gate | Dragon Lapis

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Lolz.

That was one of the very few things I never thought to test for haha. It is a mobile-only problem, because on my desktop those “Copy Share” etc buttons don’t appear at all.

I think I could possibly fix that problem by re-arranging the buttons, and putting spoiler where the list buttons currently reside (but then they would be blocked, but that might not be as big of a problem), or I could try removing some buttons so we still have one line but spoiler is off to the far right – but then if the “Copy Share” buttons appear differently on different phones…. well…

I hate to put it on the user, but it might be that the best solution in this scenario (assuming someone wanted to add a spoiler to their first line of text), might be to just cut the text, add the spoiler tags, and then paste the text back in between them? I hate having to offer a solution like that, because it makes more work for the user, but I really can’t see any other solution… (but by and large, it might not be that big of an issue, anyway… depends on how often people want to spoiler that first line of text.)

Anyway thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 1,542 Forums: 119 Topics: 1,212 Replies: 8,243