Forums General General Chat General Internet Safety

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jesusalva 1 month ago.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder…

If ANYBODY on this site sends you a PM and asks for your email address, or says they have some “amazing” offer to share with you immediately, or anything like that…

Don’t reply.

They are trying to scam you.

Only ever give your email address to people you’ve actually interacted with through the forums, and even then, be very careful about who you choose to trust.

If anybody does PM you with some incredible offer (it just happened to me), the best thing to do is just ignore it. Or PM me about it, and I will delete/block that member.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Islandi
    Participant

I have received a PM from a total stranger less than 1 hour ago too.

I wanted to PM you on this issue but I keep running into issues on my Win10 desktop Chrome browser.

Anyway, thanks for deleting that user and the PM “she” sent me. *Thumbs up* to you!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Islandi.
    Mastertrek

Yeah. Messages that are suspicious (like asking about any information about you) should be instantly reported.

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

NobleStripes
    Participant

I would really suggest we have a stringent membership vetting process to prevent bots/scammers/spammers.

TIGER MOTIF OVERLOAD! MEOW!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

Yeah but @msg-commander is the only person that can do it and he’s busy.

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

NobleStripes
    Participant

The best we can do is to ensure no one gets tricked into giving away their private information.

TIGER MOTIF OVERLOAD! MEOW!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    RamRoarke
    Participant

Humbug! This is a Kemco forum, what amazing offers could fit inย  ๐Ÿ˜†

Translated game script stuck in Nigeria??

Mastertrek

Maybe mobile games would fit in a little (as long as they’re from the correct source like Google Play and are on proper forum.. Maybe.)

Welcome ๐Ÿ˜‡

Jesusalva
    Participant

One of the ideas of posting spam on legit safe is to fight SEO.

It’s a simple web rule: Spam links spam, and legit websites links other legit websites.

If a spam website can stain legit ones with their URL, they can get a better ranking at Search Engines (although most frequently, that just lowers the legit website rank).

That’s why adding a Captcha is a smart idea (and it isn’t hard at all.)

But here MSG Commander is speaking about private messages, which are phishing attempts. (If you visit an infected websites, they can steal your data, no further action required other than visiting most of times)

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 1,595 Forums: 121 Topics: 1,228 Replies: 8,336