Forums General General Chat An Official Warning about SPAM messages.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 2 months ago.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@mastertrek unfortunately I have not been able to find a way to allow Moderators to mark a user as a spammer. I I can figure out how to give you that capability I think that would make a huge difference.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Jesusalva
    Participant

The other thing I can consider but it’s kind of a drastic measure… There are a ton of users who’ve created an account but never posted anything at all. Some of those could be spammers even though the majority of them are probably legit.

I must disagree with you, I once took care of the forums of a game. While the game server had 200 accounts registered, the forums (which only had a couple tips about the game btw) had about 3,000 accounts…

This means that at least 90% of accounts at my forums were bots. (I also think the forum wasn’t listed on Google Search to make matters worse).

@msg-commander check out for https://wordpress.org/plugins/moderation-tools-for-bbpress/

I think that’s what you’re looking for.

Also, if I remember correctly, deleting every account which never did a post is a simple SQL query. Something like “DELETE FROM accounts WHERE posts=’0′ AND replies=’0’” or something. Never used bbPress before.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Awesome!

That plugin actually looks pretty promising. (I don’t know how I missed it; the only I found was one that hasn’t been updated in 5 years…)

I should have time in this coming week to test it out.

I’ll have to wait until I’m at my pc to look into the database… I’m not sure which table keeps track of members’ posts, but if I can do it that way, that’ll be much easier than having to sort through the list of 1700+ users in the admin section. (That approach would require more than one Kit Kat break.) 😆

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Test Account

Disregard this, it’s just MSG testing to see if the moderation plugin works like it’s supposed to.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

bbPress Moderation plugin is a bust. It’s too easy with that plugin installed, to accidentally block a user, or unapprove their post, resulting in legitimate members being blocked or having their posts hidden or removed without actually wanting to.

It was a good idea but especially since it’s so easy to accidentally hit the wrong thing when we’re on phones… I’ll need to find another solution.

Meanwhile, deleting inactive accounts and adding a captcha to the registration page seem to stopped the spam for now… hopefully it will be enough to keep it to a minimum going forward.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    1oldtymer
    Participant

Nice catch via testing that the plugin may cause nasty problems.  Glad you did real testing and discovered the potential headache before releasing it.  Give yourself a pat on the back!

Older, but not wiser

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

Another small warning : Bots didn’t appear yet but someone registered and mails people to send an E-mail to somewhere.. Don’t do that! Delete the said message immediately and send a message to @msg-commander with the nick of the message sender and what was shown there.

Welcome 😇

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Mastertrek.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Said user has been deleted.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 478 Forums: 119 Topics: 1,374 Replies: 9,117