Forums General General Chat Inactive accounts have been deleted

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  LemmyTheLenny 4 months ago.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Hey everyone,

I’ve been going back and forth on this idea for awhile, but I’m planning on deleting all accounts where the user has NEVER posted anything to this site. (Meaning, they’ve never posted a topic OR a reply.)

This will help to remove any additional “would be” spammers, and will also give a more accurate count of how many members do (or have) contribute(d) to the forum.

Currently, we have 1,775 “registered” members – but only about 400 of those have ever posted anything in the forum.

If you ARE an active, legitimate lurker (i.e. not a malicious spammer) and your account gets deleted, you will need to create a new account (and post something in the forum – even if it’s just to say hello in the Welcome Mat.) If you’ve never posted, but are able to post something before I take this action, your account will remain active.

If you are an active member who has posted at least one topic or reply in the forum, your account is safe, and nothing will change for you going forward. (And, I will NOT delete any accounts, until I’m 100% sure that statement is true.)

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

2 users thanked author for this post.
    moonglazer
    Participant

Hmm

Nemomon
    Participant

<OK>

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

EDIT: I’ve deleted every inactive account. (And everything seems to be still working!)

Every one who still has an account now, is someone who’s actually:

• posted in the forum
    • submitted walkthrough pages
    • left a user review for one of the games

Between this, and adding the recaptcha to the registration page, I’m hopeful that we’ll be seeing less spam in the future. (And, any legitimate lurkers who want to are always welcome to re-join the site!)

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

• This reply was modified 50 years ago by .
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    NobleStripes
    Participant

Good work.

TIGER MOTIF OVERLOAD! MEOW!

LitanyLegendlight
    Participant

Reading the first few posts, I got scared, then realized this happened in 2019.

“Please remember: Things are not what they seem.” -Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
    "Anything can be a sword if you polish it enough." -Shiota Nagisa, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (dub)
    "You ask them to speak/ When they tried to speak/ You judge them" -Mafumafu, Berserk

LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

Its still going but the flavour of scammers we occasionally get has changed to a mix of Russian and Indian scammers. Any messages or topics that have people addressing their full names are scammers. Just dont click on them and MSG will remove them in due time.

We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 759 Forums: 129 Topics: 1,733 Replies: 11,351