Forums General Help Please tell me this forum aint flooded with Scammers !!

This topic contains 79 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  LemmyTheLenny 1 week ago.

Findme
    Participant

Like LitanyLegendlight, I had PM from moureenmax202 too. Anyway why do they target a small community with less than 1,000 members? Maybe they just spam every forums they could find?

MPG Annihilator
    Keymaster

Got rid of him last night. They are getting smarter, and not pming the keymasters or moderators, so please just PM me and MSG if more come up

Light and Darkness, Come forth and be one.
    No matter the battle, without hope, you are done.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    SpoilerSpree
    Participant

Cant you make pming require certain amount of post ?

Jesusalva
    Participant

@mpg-annihilator @msg-commander https://www.rpginsanity.com/reviews/first-3d-kemco-game-i-played/ Flooded with 1554 spam messages. Seems to have gotten external nofollow ugc* rel to the links, though, which is a good thing.

I believe moderators (azyleo and mastertrek) cannot delete comments there.

Remember that spam attracts spam. Spammers doesn’t go out looking blindly for forums in Google, they need somewhere to start. Looking other spam messages is usually a good sign of poorly moderated forums, victims in potential.

That’s why you should actively seek & remove spam content from pages. + I cannot see if there was anything noteworthy in the reviews for Revenant Saga.

* ugc: User Generated Content. Another missing but noteworthy rel is noopener which prevents a known phishing attack surface. (While nofollow does the same but for a different attack surface)

MPG Annihilator
    Keymaster

Jesusalva, your right in this instance. The only way to get rid of the comments is to click edit, for the person making it, or admins, and send it to spam or trash.

Also, apparently these comments have been coming out for almost a freakin year. The earilest one I found was made july 13th, 2019.

Azyleo, Mastertrek, Jesusalva, and 1oldtimer, please find more of these. I want to have them gone yesterday.

Light and Darkness, Come forth and be one.
    No matter the battle, without hope, you are done.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@jesusalva part of what happens is that we don’t get any notification when comments are made on blog posts, so all those spammers have been literally flying under the radar.

(And part of what happens is once something is published on the blog, I don’t go back and check it… so…) To be honest though I’m kind of thinking about dropping the blog altogether, but if I do, I would first move all the game reviews into the appropriate forums. I haven’t 100% made up my mind yet, but I think that’s probably the best thing to do.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

1oldtymer
    Participant

As far as i can tell, almost nobody reads the reviews in the blog.  I do think it would be better to have a “Reviews” page, and if not, then tucking the reviews into a Review topic within the appropriate game forum (as you mention) would be an improvement over the current structure.  So yes, drop the blog.

Speaking of people not reading things, if there is an easy way to have the “pages” that are listed in the “Games” section (what you see when you click on the game picture) somehow cross linked or referenced in the Forum topics that would help.  I have seen several posts asking questions that are answered in the Games pages, but don’t show up in the forums.  Of course quite a few posters don’t do much browsing the forums in search on an answer before posting a question, so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Older, but not wiser

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

Jesusalva, your right in this instance. The only way to get rid of the comments is to click edit, for the person making it, or admins, and send it to spam or trash.

Also, apparently these comments have been coming out for almost a freakin year. The earilest one I found was made july 13th, 2019.

Azyleo, Mastertrek, Jesusalva, and 1oldtimer, please find more of these. I want to have them gone yesterday.

I admit I didn’t check Reviews page for a long time, never thought some bots would Spam there.. I’m sorry for being so blind (now it might be a good time to check literally anything that may contain comments..)

Welcome 😇

Jesusalva
    Participant

Compromised Pages in the Blog:

It is doubly-horrible because it allows users to be spam links D:

Other than that,, it seems to be the only compromised page in blog. I’ve checked all blog pages using the “Previous/Next” buttons at the end of the pages.

Suggestion: Disable the reply feature from blog. Sounds the easiest course of action in short-term, as you don’t need to worry in moving stuff around and sane the spambot issue.

PS. First time I googled for sites linking to RPG Insanity. I was amazed.

Some in-site search for spam
    PPS. I saw a few ads are from weed, and realized it might be crawler spambots getting confused with Weed Gems (from Exe-Create), Weed Supplement from Asdivine Cross (and #1 match in Google for in-site search). Google is way too smart to show spam, it is not even displayed. I did find the compromised page on the fifth page of Bing search for “weed site:rpginsanity.com” though.

Likewise, “drug” is also too difficult to find out spam.

Other insite searchs on Google – for terms like “counterfeit”, , only showed up that link.

Also, why my name shows up in the first page search for “illegal” D: Google is smart so the first and second links are the rules.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Jesusalva
    Participant

And look who is back… Moureen Max from the previous phishing attempt!

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 791 Forums: 131 Topics: 1,793 Replies: 11,584