Forums Kemco Games Kemco Chat Top 10 Kemco J-RPGs (Video)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dekar 2 weeks ago.

Dekar
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5cEAf_gtPc

What do you think?

Best of Kemco: Legend of the Tetrarchs and Monochrome Order.

Xatres
    Participant

I still can’t wrap my head around why Fernz Gate is so beloved – it’s currently my least favorite KEMCO release I’ve played.

Staff writer for SwitchRPG.com

Jesusalva
    Participant

I still can’t wrap my head around why Fernz Gate is so beloved – it’s currently my least favorite KEMCO release I’ve played.

It has to do with release date; It came after Asdivine Hearts 2 (which even mapping felt bland), it made a solid use of the Teams system which they had been toying with previously; Story is more consistent/logical than its successor Wizards of Brandel (Wizards of Brandel was a good game, but all I remember of the story is: “it is a mess”), characters are overall likeable and well built, and you can see in mapping and other elements that developers actually cared and loved for this game.

Compared to AH2, which seems to have been done in a rush, Fernz Gate seems to have been made with love. It is not a classical, but was the best Exe-Create release after a while (a certain period where several of their games seemed like money grabbers).

It also delivers a reasonable experience; And the storyline is quite emotional – very well written, and even if it is not one of my favorites – I remember it until today. I might have forgotten the characters names, but not how they look like, how they behaved, what was their story, how they died, I even remember the villain and the side characters, their motivations, etc.

Leaving a mark, being memorable, contributes to making Fernz Gate a favorite. Of course, for some, it’ll just look overrated, specially if you don’t like the team system; And after Fernz Gate, there were several good releases (I’m looking at Asdivine Kamura, specifically).

Naturally, as newer games are released, the bar goes higher, which makes older games which are not old enough to become classics (eg. Fernz Gate) look overrated over time. In fact, Fernz Gate set a new milestone on this bar, which made Wizards of Brandel and Miden Tower look not-so-remarkable. As I said before, if you play the games in the order they were released, you’ll find the way you review them changing quite a bit.

PS. I have not watched the video. No patience nor time for vids, sorry. :p

Xatres
    Participant

In fact, Fernz Gate set a new milestone on this bar, which made Wizards of Brandel and Miden Tower look not-so-remarkable.

Actually, I thought Miden Tower was miles ahead of Fernz Gate in almost every capacity. Story, characters, combat, progression system, side content. . .  you name it.

My two big issues with Fernz Gate were:

1. The lack of depth in the story and world. Environments felt barren, and the big hero organizations were talked about a lot, but seldom shown. I never felt like the world had any weight or reality to it.
    2. Unbalanced gameplay. The buddy system was really cool, as were the combining of spells. Great systems with a ton of potential. But it all kinda fell flat for me once I start paying attention to the summoning / random encounter editing nodes and the autobattle feature. I know I could have just. . . ignored that stuff and played without it, but it’s hard to ignore SUCH an optimum memes of grindings and exploring dungeons.

Meanwhile Miden Tower had both the nodes and autobattle, but also an MP bar that manage, a more strategic combat system, and enemy difficulty that made it more optimum in most cases to fight the battles yourself. Combine that with what I felt were more compelling and unique characters, and I was left with a MUCH more satisfying experience than I got with Fernz Gate.

I do WANT to like Fernz Gate, and I’m always mulling over jumping back into it and giving it another chance. I just have too many games on the backlog at the moment – plus new KEMCO release every other month. 😛

Staff writer for SwitchRPG.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Jesusalva
    Participant

(Yes, but if you consider Fernz Gate came first, you start seeing Miden Tower as a tweaked version of Fernz Gate.)

You mean the Curio? Their first appearance was in Fernz Gate. If I remember correctly, they did not exist before. Which is why it is seen as a +1 on Fernz Gate, but not on other games (where it is seen as a reused feature).

As I said previously, it have historical weight, probably would be just an average game otherwise.

Miden Tower was cool, too, in my opinion, although I never finished it. Maybe someday. (See, it reuses features and systems from a lot of games, but can’t expect much from Exe-Create…)

Mastertrek

I like Fernz Gate (I still remember that particular Treasure Chest that I couldn’t find for weeks.. ).

Technology changes, 20 years ago people thought that Games cannot possibly look better. 10 years ago people thought that Games couldn’t possibly be bigger. This year people thought it’s a good opening for a Decade..

Every game is different in one way or another. Fernz Gate is a fun game, but if you played better games before it may get thrown under the Better game’s dust. (Off-Topic: A good example is Cally’s Caves series. If I played CC 4 first I would probably dislike 2&3, but playing them in their order made them all a fun Experience as I wasn’t spoiled by game that does everything, but better. And I recently played Cave Story, that was a cool game;) )

Welcome 😇

Iluvsummonmate
    Participant

WHAT????? Fernz Gate is one of my favorites!!! The storyline is one of the more significant ones and the art style is more modern and cute (Characters) Other than WoB, Fernz Gate is the only Kemco game i’ve completed. While the gameplay is on par with all the others, the pet system is fun and fresh and the bestiary is fun to fill up.

The only thing I don’t like is the final fight. It was boring as hell.

I love anything kemco, shiftup, and summon mate!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions about any game 😉

Off-topic again: After the post I’ve written, I started Cally’s Caves series once again and despite the great memories I see that Cally’s Caves 2 has some issues, like unbalanced Shop, cheap Post-game Final Area (Took around an Hour because Enemies are placed in a way to make you lose.) Now I’m at CC 3. It’s better but we’re introduced to Enemies over Cliffs much earlier, every fall happened thanks to them.

Welcome 😇

JRPGHero
    Participant

@jesusalva You summed up why I like the game perfectly. I plan to replay it one of these days, esp. since I  didn’t go for the true ending the first time I played.

It has to do with release date; It came after Asdivine Hearts 2 (which even mapping felt bland), it made a solid use of the Teams system which they had been toying with previously; Story is more consistent/logical than its successor Wizards of Brandel (Wizards of Brandel was a good game, but all I remember of the story is: “it is a mess”), characters are overall likeable and well built, and you can see in mapping and other elements that developers actually cared and loved for this game.

Compared to AH2, which seems to have been done in a rush, Fernz Gate seems to have been made with love. It is not a classical, but was the best Exe-Create release after a while (a certain period where several of their games seemed like money grabbers).

It also delivers a reasonable experience; And the storyline is quite emotional – very well written, and even if it is not one of my favorites – I remember it until today. I might have forgotten the characters names, but not how they look like, how they behaved, what was their story, how they died, I even remember the villain and the side characters, their motivations, etc.

Leaving a mark, being memorable, contributes to making Fernz Gate a favorite. Of course, for some, it’ll just look overrated, specially if you don’t like the team system; And after Fernz Gate, there were several good releases (I’m looking at Asdivine Kamura, specifically).

Naturally, as newer games are released, the bar goes higher, which makes older games which are not old enough to become classics (eg. Fernz Gate) look overrated over time. In fact, Fernz Gate set a new milestone on this bar, which made Wizards of Brandel and Miden Tower look not-so-remarkable. As I said before, if you play the games in the order they were released, you’ll find the way you review them changing quite a bit.

PS. I have not watched the video. No patience nor time for vids, sorry. :p

JRPGH

JRPGHero
    Participant

I was surprised to see Revenant Dogma as number one. I have only played the game before that (Revenant Saga), and I liked it, but not enough to play the sequel unless it got discounted.

JRPGH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 821 Forums: 131 Topics: 1,806 Replies: 11,690