Forums Kemco Games Hit Point Legend of the Tetrarchs Overview of Legend of Tetrarchs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Luther 6 months ago.

1oldtymer
    Participant

I like this game, so I thought I’d provide an overview of some of its features.  I completed the game and post-game, and defeated all the monsters (well, there isn’t a monster guide, so I can’t know if I did encounter every monster).

The story is slightly better than average, but the characters are rather undifferentiated.  Although there is a lot of dialog, and long sections where you cannot save, the dialog is about the situation, and not particularly revealing of character.  In fact, there is little to tell the characters apart except for their skills.

The interface is excellent, and I’ll discuss that in the context of the game mechanics.  You can leave (teleport) most dungeons, and move (teleport) to most previously visited locations.  There are some unusual, but not new, wrinkles in the play.  There are no consumables!  No restore points!  Battles are almost like battles in tactical rpg games: your party is completely restored at the end of each battle (so that is why there are no restore points).  Levels don’t really increase attributes, but only add or improve existing skills.  Gold is used to purchase equipment, and gold can be found in treasure chests, rewards for completing story events, and for winning a battle.  The treasure in chests can be of a few different types (equipment, gold, or items).  Items are almost all “passive” inventory objects that confer changes in stats for the entire party (for example, +1% ATK).   So you improve your stats simply by building up your inventory.

You also improve your character stats by “strengthening”  equipment.  This is done with gold, and each equipment type can be increased 5 times.  The interface for doing this is clear and simple.  You can click on “items,” then choose the item type (weapon, armor, ring), scroll through the list in your inventory, and click on any item you like.  You will be shown the effect should you purchase the strengthening.  Once strengthened, you can click on “equip” and be shown, all at once, the impact on each character who can “equip” the item.  Even better, you can do this anytime except in battle, so no going to a blacksmith, etc.

You will eventually have about 10 characters, but only 4 can participate in your active party at any time.  However, even those “on the bench” share in the experience gained from battles.  You can change the party members any time except during battles.

The flexibility of this mechanic means you don’t have to worry about making a poor choice early in the game, nor that you will be locked into a preference for attacker versus healer.  Some characters are skewed toward healing rather than fighting, but even that can be adjusted.  Moreover, with so many characters, you can always change your party configuration to any mix of abilities you like.  I used a couple of different configurations for different situations, although primarily only for the last few bosses.  The fun part of the game is deciding on party members and choosing equipment, as most choices involve tradeoffs (more agile but weaker, more defense but less offense, etc.).  I found this process more important than in many games, and amenable to experimentation because everything can be easily changed.

Random battles occur frequently, so if you choose to thoroughly explore the dungeons to get all the treasures, you probably will not need to do any grinding.  Grinding is easy late in the game, but remember you are just gaining gold to strengthen your equipment.

There are a few things about the game that annoyed me.  The frequent screen loadings (after every battle) are a little slow, and generate a lot of heat in my tablet.  The frequency of encounters is irritating because of the repeated loads.  The post-game was also a disappointment, because the bosses in it are easier than the game bosses.  Also, while I got excited to see the hit-point favorite “white pancho” reappear in this game, it was a weaker foe than in earlier games.

Older, but not wiser

• This topic was modified 6 months ago by  1oldtymer. Reason: removed error about stackable treasure
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Luther
    Participant

For treasure if they are drop item categories, effect can be stack. I tried collect 50 wolf fangs for 50% drop gold.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    1oldtymer
    Participant

So I guess I’m reading the text wrong.  Every treasure has * Multiple NG at the bottom of the description, which by itself means not stackable, but from what you say, if the body of the text doesn’t have a “*”, then the item is stackable.  Since I don’t see a single item with a “*” in the text, that would mean all treasures are stackable.  By clicking on “effects,” you can see that just about every treasure item is “stackable.”

Older, but not wiser

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  1oldtymer. Reason: thanks to Luther
    Luther
    Participant

Indeed but if not drop rate they still 1 item, cuz u cant farms those. 😛  . Seems translator forgot or maybe lazy to translate them.

Maybe u notice some skill explained not right. They misspelling decrease or increase stats.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 578 Forums: 125 Topics: 1,492 Replies: 9,948