Forums Action RPGs Mystic Guardian Mystic Guardian General Discussion

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MSG Commander 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I saw that this section was empty, and since I’ve been playing this game a lot recently, I decided to make a topic for it myself. I’m currently at Chapter 8, and have the class upgrades for both playable characters. Here are my impressions thus far:

– While it is tagged as an RPG, has leveling, gear upgrading, and other hallmarks of an RPG, it really does feel more like an action game. The combo system has a bit of variety to it (You can cancel normal strings with most skills and back in to strings). While taking hits are unavoidable, you’re encouraged and given tools to evade them. Low stats can be compensated with knowledge of the combo system, etc.

– The game is very easy to just pick up and play for a bit, which is a great feature in a mobile game. In addition to Raid mode which lets you just jump in and play, even the story mode lets you quickly get in to the meat of the gameplay (combat) without much interruption.

– Ray has an easy infinite in his fighter class: Normal string -> Dragon Punch -> Explosion -> Lightning Shield -> Normal string -> Dragon Punch -> Explosion -> Phantom Kick -> etc. You don’t have all the necessary skills or levels to do it early on, but once you level up your combo skills to a decent level, it makes many normal encounters a joke.

– Bosses are a very different beast. Unlike normal enemies, bosses do not stagger, and can attack quickly with little telegraphing. Said attacks do a lot of damage, will likely knock you down (except the ones that don’t), and are just annoying to fight all around. I often ended up just running around them and hitting them with the two reliable projectile skills. The Stealth skill is very useful on them as well.

– I really hate how small the inventory is. There’s only a hundred slots to start, which seems like a lot, but you’ll quickly find yourself running out of space with all the gear, healing items, and materials for upgrading/building gear. It’s especially bad when you’re playing both campaigns at once.

– The translation is really bad, unfortunately. I find myself unable to really get in to the story since the text is so awkward.

I’ll be back later with more impressions of my playthrough. Despite its flaws, I’m enjoying it quite a bit. It’s a fun little hack and slash, though I do wish it was a bit more difficult in places. The easy combo system, and the resulting infinites make mobs pretty easy to deal with, even for a guy like me who didn’t use Stealth for much of the game, which causes enemies to stop in their tracks.

3 users thanked author for this post.

famouscrystal1417
    Participant

Well,i have not completed this game just yet(yea seriously,I want to advance kainen to swordmaster and ray to beast(but I had no gems,sigh*)oh well,such a pity) however this game rather had a good storyline(maybe?)yea,the most regret I had was the inventory bag,it’s just to small……..since we get the item as fast as lightspeed,it’s totally unfair (tough there’s daily rewards) however this game was easy to play(the hardest part is to collect all recipe)but still you will not regret gave it a try(I think??)

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Thanks @grandtanker, and welcome to the forums!

Having read through your description, I’m anxious now to move Mystic Guardians up on my own play list. It sounds like a lot of fun.  🙂

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Glad to be of assistance, @msg-commander, and thanks for the welcome. I really think this game has a bunch of potential, and had a good amount of passion in it. Unfortunately there are some things that hold it back, though not enough to make it not fun for me to play. I haven’t played too many other mobile Action RPGs yet, so my impressions may change when I have something to compare to. Then again, this game allows juggling, which is one of my favorite things to do in an action game.

I’ve spent much of the game hopping between both playable characters, which rose some issues with normal play. The biggest was obviously the inventory, which can barely handle one character, much less two. But another issue was also with the amount of progress I was making and the time I was taking to make it. I tend to lollygag a lot when playing games, and have yet to finish even my favorites (I only got half way in to Asdivine Cross, which grabbed my nostalgia hard, delivered a very fun battle system, and drove me to find this site). So, in the hopes of actually finishing what I start here, I’m going to try and focus on one character at a time. For the time being, I decided that character will be Kainen. From here, a few more random observations and impressions:

– Another thing that bugs me about this game is the prevalence of In-app purchases. there are many upgrades, weapons, recipes, summons, etc that require the premium currency of the game: Soulstones. Aside from daily rewards, which gives you very little, the only way to get soulstones is to pay real money. As well, the final scenario of the game, the third story arc, requires that you have thirty of the things in addition to beating Ray and Kainen’s campaigns. This paywall isn’t much of a problem for me: since I went through the game slowly, I was able to collect 24 soulstones from daily rewards. By the time I’m finished with both stories, I’ll have more than enough to finish the game. But, if a player goes much faster than I did and runs in to it without enough currency, it’s going to be pretty frustrating.

– After saying the above: Nearly none of the IAP is actually necessary to completing the game, aside from the 30 stones you need for the final scenario. Soulstone are required for adding orb slots to weapons, but most weapons are so plentiful and disposable (Even good ones) that you won’t have much need for doing this. You’re positively swamped in solid gear and gold, enough so that the temptation to spend money for power-ups never comes to mind. You can easily get chest keys from playing Raid Mode, which will ensure you get decent weapons and armor as well. One top of all this, the crafting system allows you to make your own weapons, with unique stat boosts. I’ve never had to buy a weapon from a shop in this game, because the game give me everything I need.

– The game starts you off with a base class (Fighter/Swordsman for Ray and Kainen), and gives you an item called the Seal of Hero in a sidequest (Which you should totally do. This allows you to gain a new, upgraded class. For Kainen I chose the Magic Knight, which I thought looked the neatest. It’s not too bad so far, though it’s a bit more difficult to handle than the swordsman class. Like mentioned in my previous post, Kainen’s previous class has easy access to infinite comboes if you use your skills correctly. One of Kainen’s normal string special moves pops enemies in to the air, which is a good set up for Zero Blast, which will pop them in the air again and allow the player to continue with a normal string. Doing this is not quite as easy with Magic Knight, as this class has normal string finishers that knock enemies away. In order to keep my combo going, I have to cancel the normal string’s special attack before it finishes. A bit more timing is required.

– One thing I can say about the upgrade classes for both Ray and Kainen is that they’re fast, very fast, and sometimes too fast if you’re using a fast weapon (Various weapons have different attack speeds, by the way). It can get kind of difficult to time “button” presses when your character is attacking so quickly.

– The game doesn’t feel grindy at all. I don’t think there was a time during my current playthrough where I felt that I was running around in circles for the sole sake of increasing my level for a tough fight. The difficulty scaling is surprisingly decent in this game I think. That said, part of it may be because I’ve been doing most of the sidequests, which involve you mowing down tons and tons of enemies. I’m currently at lvl.38 with Kainen, and I know I take long breaks from advancing the story to go back and complete side quests I had accumulated over the course of the game. I might be over leveled.

– The game throws a lot of bodies at you to be sure, it almost feels like I’m playing some kind of 2d Dynasty Warriors game. Combos easily reach the 1000-mark because you can juggle a bunch of enemies at once.

For games like these, I tend to judge their cost based on how much it is to remove the ads. But in this game’s case, it requires some premium currency to reach the final quest. This can be done with just the daily rewards, but you’ll have to wait like a month. If you’re the type to blaze through games and focus on their completion, rather than the lackadaisical play I do, you might end up just paying for it. As such, I would wager this game to cost around $4.00.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Zherk01
    Participant

I will forever hate this game and I rarely use the word hate as I’m a fairly neutral person.

Reason? This game is originally called Lost Guardian Hyper published by its original creator, i-sword, a year or so ago before Buff Studio acquired the IP this year. I really have no problem with Buff Studio as I owned the premium version of Buff Knight Advanced and a fan of Wonder Knights, my beef with the acquisition is that I paid money for Lost Guardian Hyper but will never receive updates anymore as i-sword took their version down from the playstore(though I can still search the game from my Order History) yet free players will get updates and fixes. Thats baloney.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero | Fernz Gate | Dragon Lapis

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  MSG Commander. Reason: edited for language

@zherkzone

Lost Guardian Hyper was a Premium game? If so, then that clears up the incongruity concerning the micro-transactions I noticed in Mystic Guardian. Their prevalence and high prices in an otherwise complete game experience (Going so far to paywall the final chapter) suddenly clicks when I consider that these features were added in after the fact.

Also language. Board rules and all.

Zherk01
    Participant

Sorry for the unnecessary language at the end but everytime I see Mystic Guardian pops up on my Play Store homepage (and it shows up a lot because I download quite a lot of rpgs), I just want to find the devs and choke them with baloney.

Anyway, now that I calmed down a bit let me welcome you too in this site. Its the best forum for Android gamers with no trolls and cancerous people around and instead filled with helpful members.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero | Fernz Gate | Dragon Lapis

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

2 users thanked author for this post.

Anyway, now that I calmed down a bit let me welcome you too in this site. Its the best forum for Android gamers with no trolls and cancerous people around and instead filled with helpful members.

I can’t help but notice that one. The community is small, the topic is a niche within a niche withing a niche, and the admin is highly involved and interested in keeping the place clean. I haven’t been to any android specific gaming communities, but the place I do frequent a lot has some of the worst and vitriolic video game discussion you can imagine (assuming they stay on topic). It’s been a long time since I went and used a traditional forum anyway, so the change of pace is quite nice.

I can understand your frustration with the situation of this particular game, definitely not going to disrespect you there.

famouscrystal1417
    Participant

Hmm,Welp I dunno there’s a shady story behind this game(it’s not so surprising since some madman also said the same thing at plasystore,fine then

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@zherkzone @grandtanker

Thanks for the kind words. As the admin I def can take credit for laying the ground rules, however I am still amazed at the caliber of people who continue to find their way here, and contribute to our community.

Side note: I started this site with my nephew who was 12 at the time; hence the strict rules on language and respecting others. We did it so we could post a couple walkthroughs and so I could hopefully encourage him to get into something computer/web related… We both were over the moon excited when after less than a year we hit 200 members… now we have almost 1200 and still get excited about each new signup and each forum discussion.  😎

EDIT – don’t be fooled though, we do tend to stray off topic at times  (just browse the Asdivine forums sometime and you’ll see we were all over the place with some of those games…)

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.