Forums Kemco Games Exe Create Sephirothic Stories IMO, not a very good game.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Buffy63 2 months ago.

Travelman31
    Participant

This might seem harsh, but I just do not think it was a very good game.

Pros

-Tons of stat-up items allowing you to grow your characters as you want.

-About 20 side quests.

-The music is nice.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it does not detract from the game.

-You have a lot of accessories, giving the player freedom to try out different ones, and thus, different strategies according to the boss they are facing.  Common for kemco games, but I feel like Kemco excels with that, giving the player a lot of interesting accessories.

Cons

-This is a 3D game, but there is no movable camera.  For a 3D game, the world does not really feel all that open.  In fact the opposite is true, much of the game consists of tight paths and corridors.

-You can see the enemies, but due to the tight paths/corridors it is very hard to pass them, if passing is what you want to do.  Players at least deserve that possibility. They also stay still, no moving. Chrono Trigger in 1995 and Lufia 2 (also 1995) had view-able enemies but they moved, adding to the strategy and fun of dodging enemies and sneaking up on them!  Sometimes you don’t dodge, sometimes you do, but it added to the game!  Missed opportunity for kemco here.

-TOO MANY boring, dull conversations.  Really, very mundane.  Sometimes it felt like every few minutes, your party would stop and talk about… something.   Personally I just started skipping past the conversations.  I just wanted to play the game!

-Which brings me to my next point: The game is based on an interesting premise but the story never fully takes off and feels forced (part of that are the constant breaks in the action every time you enter a new place or see a new portal, or go back to town, etc.).  Their is no real depth to the characters either.  I didn’t care about any of them.

-Many of the mechanics have already been seen in other Kemco games: The garden where you plant seeds and get fruits later on, the weapon crafting with effects to add to your weapon.  Both good ideas for one game, but they’ve been done a ton at this point. The magic and skill system seem all too familiar.  You also have a limit break-like system where a gauge slowly feels to 100% but none of the skills/magic are very interesting/innovative so the limit break, though useful and showing off a long chain of skills, doesn’t look all that interesting either, plus it makes the game very easy.

-You can jump. But only straight up and landing in the same place.  And just to get coins.  Other than that, this mechanic was not explored at all.  In fact, the game had some decent ideas while on the field, but they never felt fully fleshed out.  The small passages only the fairy could get to, the breakable boulders, the ropes only the girl could walk on, etc.  You are introduced to each of these but you do not see too many chances to use them throughout the game.  Another missed chance.  You also have a few timed fairy obstacle courses.  This could have been really fun, but again, you are just given a small taste and nothing more.

-Sound effects – Many are recycled from older games.  Small gripe, but goes along with a larger theme, nothing really seems fresh in this game.

-As I said a lot of side quests, but nothing groundbreaking, just a lot of fetch quests and finding very specific monsters.  This is common for kemco side quests though, nothing groundbreaking or adding to the story, just get 20 of these or kill 10 of those, etc.

Overall, I feel like this game was more of an experiment from Kemco and should have been offered as “freemium” with a small price tag for people who wanted to start the game with some in-game currency.  This did not feel like a full game worthy of even a $5 and in fact, felt like a poorly made playstation 1 rpg from the mid 90s when the system was first released.

Recently beaten since April 1: Sephirothic Stories (android, kemco), Soulblazer (snes, arpg), Seek hearts (android, kemco), Super Metroid (snes), Legend of Tetrarchs (android, kemco), Castlevania 4 (snes), Actraiser (snes), Demons Crest (snes, platformer), Holy Umbrella (snes, platformer), Arcana (snes rpg)
    (Updated May 6)

Kemco games I still need to beat: (2) Dragon Lapis, Dimension Cross

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Travelman31.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

Exe Create has a habit of recycling a lot of things from their past RPGs which includes their UI. It feels like Exe Create uses a lot of games as testers for the new systems such as Asdivine Hearts. I have noticed the same in Fairy Elements where the concept of equipping magic(re. FF7 Materia System) was tried here and again in Onigo Hunter. We may be witnessing the same story unflod in Dimension Cross thanks to Sephrotic Stories.

We don't make mistakes. We just have happy accidents.

Travelman31
    Participant

Thanks for the input.  Would you recommend Dimension Cross?  I was excited for it before I downloaded Sephrotic Stories but after beating SS, my interest in DD has declined.

Any way, if Exe Create took a few more months to really polish SS, I think it COULD have been a pretty decent game.  I wonder, if the developers were really honest with themselves, was SS a little rushed?  I also think that, while not complicated, the many different currencies were kind of unnecessary: the gold coins, the silver coins, the ticket, the mana (I think was the name for the other, main currency), etc.

Recently beaten since April 1: Sephirothic Stories (android, kemco), Soulblazer (snes, arpg), Seek hearts (android, kemco), Super Metroid (snes), Legend of Tetrarchs (android, kemco), Castlevania 4 (snes), Actraiser (snes), Demons Crest (snes, platformer), Holy Umbrella (snes, platformer), Arcana (snes rpg)
    (Updated May 6)

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Travelman31.
    LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

I have not played Dimension cross but it feels like they took sephrotic stories and reskinned it. if there’s anything to go by, its that Exe-Create usually starts with a style and improves upon it before adapting a new style.

One key example is Asdivine hearts 2 in which the Tag team mechanic was introduced and later used in Fernz gate + Wizards of brandel. Another is Dragon Lapis followed by Heirs of Kings. OG Alphadia 1 and 2 > infinite dunamis. Kresia > Fanatic Earth. Dragon Sinker-> Alvastia Chronicles. I could go on but that is a recurring pattern I have noted.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I was not impressed by Dimension Cross, or Sephirothic Stories. However, I did enjoy Seek Hearts. It wasn’t the best of Kemco, but it was enjoyable enough that I would recommend it.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Travelman31
    Participant

What would you say was better, Dimension Cross or Sephirothic Stories?

Yah, seek hearts was ok.  I felt like it was “perfectly average” in fact.  Nothing done poorly or bad, but nothing great about it. I feel like at this point, exe-create has a certain formula to its games and they aren’t going to really deviate from that too much and while that will never lead to a bad game, it doesn’t seem like it will lead to any more great games any time soon…how much longer rpg fans, and even hardcore kemco fans, such as ourselves, will be able to tolerate that middle ground is up for debate.  I want to see them take more risks, try more new things.

(Updated May 6)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    LemmyTheLenny
    Participant

At this moment, we will tolerate their cut and paste for a good while. There’s not many other JRPGs on the Play Store for NA so Kemco is all we have sadly.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

@travelman31, with the price increase to $8.99, and the “hit or miss” games as of late, I’m sort of starting to lose faith in Kemco.

But still, like @lemmythelenny says, there’s not much else out there, so for now I’ll keep giving ’em my money. 🙄

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Travelman31
    Participant

That is exactly what I thought (“give em’ my money”) as I pushed the “buy” button for Dimension cross.  I set my expectations low and they did not drop but they did not climb at all. Kemco has the market cornered on cheap ($5 or so) rpgs on android.  Unless you want to spend 20$ or more on a square re-boot/re-make/re-release kemco is all we really have for better or worse.  Plus the occasional random release from other developers from time to time.

I did get Dragon Quest 6 for 250 pesos which is 14$ USD.  A little more than I like to spend for an app but I know DQ6 is an amazing game, I beat it in 2011 and wanted to try it again.  Fantastic game so it was worth buying and I will try again.

(Updated May 6)

Mastertrek

I love the entire Dragon Quest series (and for me Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite followed by VI and V).

In the past few months I didn’t see any KEMCO game I would love to play as all of them seem the same for me.. And I’m busy playing some great games like DMC 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, RDR 2.. I guess KEMCO is going in a way that I slowly start to dislike their new games. 

Welcome 😇

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 541 Forums: 123 Topics: 1,448 Replies: 9,419