Forum ≠ Topics

Written by Jesusalva

Forums General Suggestion Box Forum ≠ Topics

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zherk01 Zherk01 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jesusalva
    Jesusalva
    Participant

It might be just me, but i believe the correct behavior for Community > Forums is displaying the forum, and not the topics (ie. last active)

The explanation for this is that when the person clicks on the button for first time, he/she/it probably is looking for a game forum, and not for the last news on RPGInsanity. The interest on seeing topics (latest changes) is mostly for already members, and not for visitors.

For example, you’re looking for Chrome Wolf walkthrough, you don’t find it but it’s written to check the forums. So you go on Community > Forums, but you’re presented with a list of recent changes, which imo gives appearance of disorder and difficult search for Chrome Wolf related topics.

But if you guys think differently, fell free to write here. ¬.¬
    This is just my opinion.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

Profile photo of 1oldtymer
    1oldtymer
    Participant

I think there is merit in your suggestion. Actually, I think the appearance should be different after you sign in, which means that the initial view for visitors would be different from that of members. Right now, if not a member, finding info for a game isn’t intuitive. As you point out, what happens if there isn’t a walkthrough page? (That could be solved by creating dummy walkthrough pages that link to the forum for that game.) How would you know to click on index? I think somehow games titles should be obvious to find. I know the list of games is too long to just have one long list, which is why we break by developer, but I’d like to see a link under the “Games” heading that goes to the index page or something similar.

Older, but not wiser

Profile photo of MSG Commander
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

You have a good point. The way it is now is just the way it’s always been and when I first started the site I thought it was a cool way to go.

Personally I like seeing the recent topics cause it helps me keep up on all the forum activity, but I can see where a new member might be put off by it.

I don’t have any problem with changing the links so “forums” actually points to forums – just give a few days so that our older members have a chance to see this thread, so they’re not caught unaware by the change.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Profile photo of 1oldtymer
    1oldtymer
    Participant

Let me clarify my preference. I LIKE seeing the latest replies. But that should (a) show up front only after signin or (b) be its own heading under community. I find it very useful, so I don’t want it to go away, and I like its visibility, but not as the first thing seen by a visitor.

Older, but not wiser

Profile photo of Zherk01
    Zherk01
    Participant

Yeah, I too found it weird that you have to dig to some menu just to find the forums. Why not change the layout like the last replies at the top followed by the main forums and its sub forums? Kinda like this.
    Latest Replies

Main-Forum 1
    -Sub-Forum 1
    -Sub-Forum 2

Main-Forum 2
    -Sub-Forum 1
    -Sub-Forum 2

I think that will be easy for people to navigate the site but still look clean.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

Profile photo of Jesusalva
    Jesusalva
    Participant

Yeah, I too found it weird that you have to dig to some menu just to find the forums. Why not change the layout like the last replies at the top followed by the main forums and its sub forums? Kinda like this.

I think that will be easy for people to navigate the site but still look clean.

I don’t think so. There’ll be too many elements on the page:
    The black bar
    The main navigation bar (games / community)
    The forum navigation bar (Index / Topics / Search / Help)
    The latest topics, but it take too much space and people can give up seeing it, so from 15 it would go to 5 which loses a lot of functionality
    The forums (which is not that large, and not that small either)

My advice is to remember people about the existence of the forum bar. It’s below the Community/Games bar. You can’t miss it.
    Discrete, four blue links.

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

Profile photo of MSG Commander
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

I agree with Jesusalva. The forum menu bar (Index,Topics,etc.) plus the actual forums is all that should be in the page. (Well that and forum statistics.) 😛

I just need to figure out how to expand the forum list again on mobile – currently it only shows the top level forums. If I don’t get it done today, it’s #1 on my list for Monday.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Profile photo of Zherk01
    Zherk01
    Participant

I still think that there is still too muh unnecessary clicks just to get anywhere on this site, the basic of web design is the less clicking the better but I can live withit as I bookmark some of the important part of the site for one click access.

Favorites: Blood of Calamity | Chronus Arc | Band of Monster | Machine Knight | Djinm Caster | Unlucky Hero

Disliked: Asdivine Dios | Fairy Elements

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.