Forums General Suggestion Box Game Landing Page

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  1oldtymer 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author

3beez
    Participant

While re-playing JtK, I’ve been visiting Azyleo’s walkthrough frequently, and it takes several clicks to get there. I need to go to the “Games” page, and then click through 4 pages to get to JtK, click on its title, and then to the location walkthrough itself. (Or Games, ExeCreate, page 2, JtK, Location Walkthrough). It seem to be a lot of clicks compared to how it was on the old site.

So, MSG Commander, I was wondering (as I know you have nothing better to do <serious sarcsasm>), if it is possible to reduce some of the clicks? First, let me say that the landing page looks awesome, sharp and professional. As is, I think it works great for people looking for a game, but if you know what game you want, is there a way to “pass go and collect $200” directly…maybe a list like on the old site or a drop-down box? Or an option to view all games on one page? Anywho…not really important. Just a suggestion. (Blame Kemco for no new RPG to distract me!) ;-D

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    3 users thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Actually, I’d kind of had those same feelings about it ever since I set it up that way. I think it looks really cool, but it is a pain to find the game you want unless it just happens to be on the first page… I just didn’t want to be the first to mention it, because I thought “well maybe it only bothers me…”

Let me chew on this for awhile, and see what I can come up with.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

1oldtymer
    Participant

I also just completed Journey and had the same experience with the navigation as 3beez.

Older, but not wiser

3beez
    Participant

….because I thought “well maybe it only bothers me…”

I wouldn’t say it bothers me. I’m just lazy. I mean I could do something myself such as bookmark the page, or simply leave a tab open in my browser. Yep, that would be a good strategy. However, we all know that the only strategy I have is OP. So, so, so LAZY! 🤣

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.

famouscrystal1417
    Participant

……..well somehow i am not getting a problem for this(it’s fine as long as i can see the walktrough(sometime i need it)it was you to decide,commander(nah,wish you luck,and came with the best idea of yours,bye-bee)

This one is telling the
    1.truth(lies)
    2.lies(truth)

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Well I think it’s better to change it, because if older members are having trouble with it, it probably causes issues for people who are just discovering the site as well…

Ultimately I think I’ll *try* to add a dropdown menu to the top of the page, listing each game. (I need to find the right plugin but I think it can be done pretty easily.) I can also change it to either show all games on the landing page, or at least increase the number to like, 30 or 40?

It’ll be awhile though; my mom is recovering from knee surgery so my computer time is very limited this week. 🙁 Surgery was fine, she just needs help w/recovering.

Jesusalva
    Participant

Well I’ve memorized the correct page for the games I’m playing is page 5 (because it starts with S), which thankfully is the last page (would be bad otherwise)…

I’ll propose an integration. “Recently” (read: Last time I was on vacations and visiting this forum, maybe five months ago) you’ve implemented on user accounts the “currently playing” field, right? Well, an idea (which would probably result on some rework on that feature) would be to gather that input to show at “headlines”.

Another proposal is, as already said, allowing someone who is navigating on website change how many results are displayed on the page. Even better if it’s saved on user accounts. (So you don’t need to change display very often.)

If you take my first and second proposal, you’ll end up with a “Show/Hide completed/playing/not-playing games” option, meaning registered users can filter to show only the games they’ve completed (or not). Same apply to currently playing games.

I’m not sure how doable those proposals are. In coding, everything is possible, there are just things that are way too hard to even think on.
    After so much coding you should already be at the skill level to look at the code and say whetever it’s doable or not.

EDIT: As I’ve suspected, most of old reviews are now on Peanut Gallery, which turned out to be a blog….. Oh my.
    If you want my advise, As Peanut Gallery is also tagged by game, provide a link on the review section to it. Bonus points if label is something descriptive like “Amateur/fun reviews” or “What our users thinks about this game!”. Even more bonus points if instead of a link you add the listing (like an iframe). You get the idea 😛 Maybe I should have done a new topic?
    Jesusalva

Jesusalva / Jesusaves

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .
    1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Those are good ideas, but again I’m limited by what I can easily do in WordPress. I’m hoping to mess around a bit this weekend and get a feel for what makes the most sense.

Thanks to all for your input. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

As a short-term solution, I’ve changed the settings so that all the various “game” index pages show 36 results per page… so now there are only at most 2 pages to sort through.

I’ve seen a really cool plugin that lets you filter the results, all from the same single page, but I’ll need some time to really evaluate that and see if it’s worth implementing.

1oldtymer
    Participant

You probably already know about https://wordpress.org/plugins/yet-another-related-posts-plugin and I don’t know if it fits the situation.

Older, but not wiser

• This reply was modified 47 years ago by .
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.