Forums Other RPGs JRPGs Summon Mate Rant Against Cruel Game Design in Summon Mate

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  1oldtymer 2 weeks ago.

1oldtymer
    Participant

Some game designs are just plain cruel.  You may remember the nasty special boss drops in Tenmilli RPG as an example of deliberate player torment.   A similar situation appears in Summon Mate (also by the same game creator).

An NPC does tell you that there are 9 unusual monsters roaming the world (in the post-game).  Fair enough, it isn’t unusual to have search the globe.  Let’s say you  are able to find all 9 of these monsters.  You have found that just about every monster in the game does drop something, so it is reasonable to expect that these 9 monsters will also.   Again, fair enough.  So you start to battle, and when nothing drops right away, well, ok, so these are somewhat rare drops.  You continue to battle.

DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE LOST PATIENCE

READ IF DESPERATE

After several attempts, you manage to defeat all 9 monsters and get their drops.  But you see that you are still 2 items short of the 100% item completion.  Although you thought you had found all the items, there is no treasure finder, so perhaps you missed something in a dungeon.  Do you revisit all the dungeons?  Maybe, but before you do, just as a double check, you pound away on a monster, over and over, to see if it has a second drop, even though no monster in the entire game has had more than a single drop.  A mean-spirited developer might have put an extra drop on two of these monsters.  After multiple failures, you finally get the monster to drop something…but it is just a repeat of what it dropped before.  After some nasty language you direct at the developer, you plan to revisit the dungeons.

But you would be wrong.  This developer is far nastier than that.  If you persevere and continue pounding on that monster, maybe you get lucky and sure enough, a second and new item drops!  Now you know what to do, so you make repeated battles against the other 8 special monsters, wearing out your fingers as you try for that rare drop.  Which monster has that extra drop?  I can just hear the developer laughing…as NONE of them do…that one monster with the second drop has a 3rd drop!!  I hope you had fun obtaining all the dropped items…I sure did not.

As the ads on tv say, “But wait…there’s more.”  Suppose you have found all the monsters, and all the drops from the unusual monsters (see above), and have opened every chest, bought every item/equipment from all the shops, but are still one item short of completion (250 items=100%, but sadly, your have only 249).  Of course you retrace EVERY dungeon, EVERY shop…but nothing turns up.  What to do?

JUST GO AHEAD AND READ

Spoiler

You may have noticed that the “Mysterious Forest” seems to have random placement of treasure chests.  What you didn’t know, unless you got lucky, is that NOT ALL CHESTS ARE PRESENT on any particular entry into the Mysterious Forest.  This means that you may have to enter it and search it multiple times to have every possible treasure chest (there are 16 different items available, but only some of them (11??) are “unique” items that you need to get to 250).

Older, but not wiser

• This topic was modified 49 years ago by .
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

Well, Tenmilli-rpg Secret Requirements were At least Fair as All Bosses Could drop All Items AND there was an Info about that (of course in Japanese which made it tough to find out).

Welcome 😇

Mastertrek

And Let’s not forget the Excalibur II which is By Far the Most Brutal Item to get in terms of Collectionist.

Welcome 😇

Mastertrek

So did you get all 250 Items now or you missed something from Other places?

Welcome 😇

Mastertrek

Maybe you have the list of those drops and which Special Boss drops it? Note : Making All Monsters is still more tedious than getting drops although it’s just for now.

Welcome 😇

1oldtymer
    Participant

So did you get all 250 Items now or you missed something from Other places?

Yes, I got everything and completed everything.

Older, but not wiser

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  1oldtymer. Reason: add image
    Attachments:
    1oldtymer
    Participant

Maybe you have the list of those drops and which Special Boss drops it? Note : Making All Monsters is still more tedious than getting drops although it’s just for now.

Here is a poorly formatted list.

Item From Location
    Genbu Shell Zilva Kewashi Mountain
    Sun Shield Lufa Forest Island
    Wind Ring Tink Left/Right Tower
    Miracle Pot Lid Temi Oshiro Underground
    Devil Hat Midori Forest Island
    Samidare Bow Bruce Musasabi Tower
    Beast Shield Linn Goddess Castle
    Asura Sword Blont Sun Labyrinth
    Queen Dress Mazenda Next Castle
    Dragon Fang Zilva Kewashi Mountain
    Decrement Zilva Kewashi Mountain

Older, but not wiser

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mastertrek

I got all of these things when I still had the game downloaded 🙂

Welcome 😇

Mastertrek

Also I see there’s 254 items but on your picture there’s only 250..

Welcome 😇

Mastertrek

So I just found out that the game got new stuff like seeds and bulbs for sale, but they’re not cheap. 🙂

Welcome 😇

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 545 Forums: 123 Topics: 1,452 Replies: 9,429