Forums Kemco Games Exe Create Unlucky Hero (for English) Is this game too mature?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Travelman31 2 years ago.

Nemomon
    Participant

I’m still playing this game, and a thought came to me… Isn’t this game too mature or the most mature compared to some other EXE-CREATE and/or Kemco titles? I know they’re just some words, and nothing more, but in a way I just couldn’t not notice them. I don’t recall any similar words being said or any similar acts being done in other Kemco titles.

Examples:

spoiler
    General Lapis’ backstory. He’s a sadist, that’s for sure. But why? He was beat and abused by his parents until he didn’t have any strength left to defend himself. When they finally decided to kill him, he burnt them alive instead. How much I would want, I don’t recall any similar tragic backstory in any other Kemco games.

spoiler
    Amethos. He for sure is pure evil, but he commited one crime that for sure should never appear in a game that is for kids. When the party is arrested, Amethos for each party member found a way how to torture them with the most efficiency. What he did to Carnelia? He drugged her with a sleeping drug and threw her to a cell full of male slaves and prisoners. He explicitly said that they will have a fun with her. We all know what he meant. He drugged her with sleeping pills, so she would be defenseless.

Now, this is the first time I seen in Kemco.EXE-CREATE games where people that openly say about, let’s say, “abusing” someone. And this one aspects makes me wonder if this game is really for kids, or perhaps at least 15 yo or older people.

3. I looked at the Japanese website, and noticed funny thing. The Japanese names of Carnelia, Sardonis and Kyan are all names of an alcohol. Carnelia in Japnese is Cider, Sardonis is Spirytus (rectified alcohol), and Kyan is Ethanol. And the world we play is named The Alcohol Continent. Accident? I don’t think so…

3beez
    Participant

I got this game a long time ago, but never finished it. It was just too sluggish on my device. However, since KEMCO has left us wanting again this month, I reinstalled it and started playing it again…just a couple of days ago. I’ve been pleasantly surprised about how smoothly it is running on my S6. And I have been enjoyin the bits of humor I missed the first time (such the Wizard of Oz reference in the description for Tin Armor and Nickel Armor is an armor made of nickels sewn together. Silly, but good for a chuckle.).

Obviously, I haven’t reached the parts you have described. So, let me say…”YIKES!!” That is seriously DARK material. I checked the Play Store to see if there was a rating, but it is an unrated game. If you read further down there is the disclaimer:

Unrated
    Warning – content has not yet been rated. Unrated apps may potentially contain content appropriate for mature audiences only.

But who really looks for that? I sure hope parents do, because what you described should not be in a game for kids. As for other KEMCO titles, I can’t recall anything that adult…well, Blood of Calamity does have the creepy, womanizer MC and didn’t Dogma or Glorious Savior have some sexual innuendo? I will admit that though I enjoyed all the Asdivine titles, I’m not really a fan of the way Felix was slapped around or Lucile’s masochism (Maidame Curie’s proclivities have been a little more subtle, sort of. I’m not sure really young kids would notice it.). TBH, the Felix-slapping bothers me more than Lucile. LOL I don’t even like animated animals to be abused. (Yes, I am aware that I happily slay bunnies and squirrels and other critters just because they’ve been dubbed monsters. Call it cognitive dissonance, irony, or monster bigotry. Maybe the monsters need an advocate group like PETA? :silly: )

Geez, this is starting to turn into a wall of text! Sorry. But thanks for the warning about what’s to come in Unlucky Hero. I shall brace myself.

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

Interesting points, for sure. I vaguely recall what you mention in the spoilers (been a long time since I played this one.)

For what it’s worth, I let my nephew play it at the same time (roughly a year and a half, so he would have been 10.) He didn’t notice anything that he thought was inappropriate – probably because a lot of things you have to read between the lines to get the full gist of it.

On the other hand, my same nephew did complain – A LOT – about the language in Blood of Calamity.

So that’s kind of my yardstick for what’s acceptable. If a 10 year old doesn’t get what the game is talking about, I don’t worry about it. But if the dialogue is explicit like Calamity, where everyone knows the words used are really inappropriate, that’s what I don’t like.

But to be clear – both games are perfectly fine to talk about on the forum, I just don’t want members using inappropriate language.

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

Overdrive
    Participant

I’m still playing this game, and a thought came to me… Isn’t this game too mature or the most mature compared to some other EXE-CREATE and/or Kemco titles? I know they’re just some words, and nothing more, but in a way I just couldn’t not notice them. I don’t recall any similar words being said or any similar acts being done in other Kemco titles.

Examples:

spoiler
    General Lapis’ backstory. He’s a sadist, that’s for sure. But why? He was beat and abused by his parents until he didn’t have any strength left to defend himself. When they finally decided to kill him, he burnt them alive instead. How much I would want, I don’t recall any similar tragic backstory in any other Kemco games.

spoiler
    Amethos. He for sure is pure evil, but he commited one crime that for sure should never appear in a game that is for kids. When the party is arrested, Amethos for each party member found a way how to torture them with the most efficiency. What he did to Carnelia? He drugged her with a sleeping drug and threw her to a cell full of male slaves and prisoners. He explicitly said that they will have a fun with her. We all know what he meant. He drugged her with sleeping pills, so she would be defenseless.

Now, this is the first time I seen in Kemco.EXE-CREATE games where people that openly say about, let’s say, “abusing” someone. And this one aspects makes me wonder if this game is really for kids, or perhaps at least 15 yo or older people.

3. I looked at the Japanese website, and noticed funny thing. The Japanese names of Carnelia, Sardonis and Kyan are all names of an alcohol. Carnelia in Japnese is Cider, Sardonis is Spirytus (rectified alcohol), and Kyan is Ethanol. And the world we play is named The Alcohol Continent. Accident? I don’t think so…

Guess it depends on perspective and/or what age group you’re talking about. RE: #2, in Bravely Default (rated Teen), one of the more villainous bad guys (Fiore the Red Mage) is sort of the same way, using a specific drug to seduce women and the game isn’t remotely subtle as to what he’s doing, as his actions involve a female member of your party and directly set him in opposition to your party’s “lovable perv” character.

I mean, in general, RPGs are generally designed for the teen-and-older crowd. If someone younger is academically advanced enough to get enjoyment out of a genre where you have to do a lot of reading and (oftentimes) strategize the best way to optimize a party’s abilities and whatnot, that’s great, but I think the game designers themselves generally craft their plots based on that more mature audience. Sometimes to hilarious effect, such as Agarest War’s “here’s an epic tale of conflict through multiple generations. oh, and fanservice. lots and lots of it” way of doing things.

Nemomon
    Participant

I must admit that before I created this topic, I also checked the rating of this game, and also was surprised that it doesn’t have any.

I didn’t play Blood of Calamity, so i can’t say how bad the language is in there. But I remember that quite a lot about this matter was in one of the Alphadia Genesis. There was a female scientist (and looked twice old than the MC) who openly kept saying that she wants to kiss the MC, and perhaps something more. On some other occasions she was teasing the MC and another party member that was more or less the same age as the MC. However, for me that looked more like some jokes and stupid teasing (“I’m way older than you, so I can freely tease you, and you’re just but a kid”) than something more deeper and serious.

But I agree that Felix being slapped was a little too much. I understand that it was made just for fun – Felix was a goddess, and the characters knew that, so they intentionally were slapping a god because they could do so. But I think Lucile’s behaviour was much more disgusting. While the scenes when Felix was slapped were meant to be a funny scenes, Lucile during the entire game kept talking hiw much she loves tortures. One time, maybe two times it was even funny, but third time it was annoying.. Not to mention that in this game the MC a couple of times punched a woman… Intentionally…

But on the other side I quite do like Maidame and Jolie Curies and their running gag of punishment. We don’t know what exactly that punishment is, but we know that it really must be scary if even Jolie (what like what also a goddess) is immediately stunned just from hearing about it. This adds some story to Maidame Curie who from one side is nice and helping (but often blackmailing), and from the other is a sadist that loves torturing hersister for every small, little mistake she has done ;). And funny enough, she doesn’t look like a sadist at all…

As what MSG said, I kinda do wonder about one thing. Maybe the case here is that Your nephew back then didn’t understand the tragic behind this. I mean, Lapis openly said that he has no parents, because he burned them alive. And he burned them alive, because they maltreated him for years. There is no way that even a 10 yo kid would not understand that. But he probably ignored that part of this story (just took it as a part of the game that doesn’t have any special meaning) because he was too young to imagine what children abusing is, and therefore how REALLY tragic the situation Lapis found himself in was. We’re older and we know that it isn’t just some story, but really sad events. I think the same could apply to Carnelia nad her fate to being a doll. Even if that kid could imagine what the slaves wanted to make her, he probably couldn’t understand how traumatic this would be to Carnelia herself, and therefore he couldn’t get the gist of the real tragedy in that punishment. Because that punishment was not just about raping her, but about breaking her mentally.

BTW Beez, could You tell me the part about the Wizard of Oz? I must have missed that reference.

Azyleo

The game is pretty mature that’s for sure. There is one part in the ending which left me thinking. However I played this a long time ago and can’t recall much at the moment.
    In the end even though it is dark, as long as kids don’t understand and as long as people don’t say it out loud in the forum, I am fine with that. Remember, Kemco never said there games are kid friendly ( neither did Exe Create ) , we are only speculating that at the moment and so far the speculation have gone fine with a few hitches here and there ( Glorious Savior being one of them ).

3beez
    Participant

BTW Beez, could You tell me the part about the Wizard of Oz? I must have missed that reference.

It’s just the armor description. “Tin Armor – Ever want to visit Oz? Now you can as the Tin Man!”

Several of the armor/weapon descriptions are good for a smile.

Be silly. Be honest. Be kind.
    MSG Commander
    Keymaster

The game is pretty mature that’s for sure. There is one part in the ending which left me thinking. However I played this a long time ago and can’t recall much at the moment.
    In the end even though it is dark, as long as kids don’t understand and as long as people don’t say it out loud in the forum, I am fine with that. Remember, Kemco never said there games are kid friendly ( neither did Exe Create ) , we are only speculating that at the moment and so far the speculation have gone fine with a few hitches here and there ( Glorious Savior being one of them ).

I must be naive, but I didn’t have any problems with Glorious Savior. :blink: (I just imagined that the “evil” scenes were reminiscent of an old black and white movie where the villain’s idea of doing something really bad is, I don’t know, locking a girl up in a tower until she falls in love with him, or something.) And again, with the innuendo in this game and especially in Dogma, I figured it was “read between the lines” kinda thing, where I didn’t exactly like it all but I didn’t have a huge problem with it either.

But those things reflect my personal taste, not the rules for what games are allowed on the forum.

Let me try to dig deeper into this:

A lot of games are definitely NOT “kid appropriate” as a general rule. I still play them, still enjoy them, and regarding my nephew, I let him play (but we’re usually in the same room so if something did come up, I’m there to talk about with him.)

That said, I have let my nephew play almost every Kemco game (maybe I’m a bad influence :silly: ).

With Blood of Calamity, well basically the main character “loves” women and always talk about their body parts – like in almost every single line of dialogue. :sick: Unfortunately I did not anticipate that when my nephew and I started it, since no other Kemco games are THAT explicit – but with that one game, he didn’t play very far into it because he didn’t like the language. (So in a way I dodged a bullet with that one.)

A lot of other stuff, yeah, either he skips over it, or can’t really grasp HOW tragic it really is. Still the argument can be made that the games aren’t made for kids (which they’re not) and so therefore kids shouldn’t even play them (and it could be argued, then, that there’s no reason for the forum to be kid friendly – but the reality is, kids do play them, and will find their way to this site, when they get stuck and need a walkthrough.)

I don’t know specifically how Kemco games compare to other devs, whether mobile, console, etc, when it comes to “dark” subject matter in the games, because before Kemco the last game I played was FFX. So I’m really out of touch with the whole genre. 😆

I do feel that it’s the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to know or to monitor what their kids are playing, and I know that most games are rated and that should be enough to keep a Teen game out of a kid’s hands – but I think it’s a safe bet that a lot of kids are playing games that are rated Teen or not rated at all.

(Especially kids of gamers, probably get away with playing certain games because their parents know the genre and know what they think is ok for the kids. If we were playing, I don’t know, Grand Theft Auto, I’d be much more relaxed about the language on the forum, because only an INSANE person would give that game to a child, in my opinion. Now maybe I’m insane to give Symphony of the Origin to a child, but I know more children than just my nephew who have played that game.)

And as I’ve said before, I don’t have any control over what’s IN the game itself, so it’s not so much about “Is the game kid friendly?” It could be nice to somehow advise others, but the more I think about it, that’s really not our responsibility, it lies with whoever is giving their kid access to the tablet/game/website/whatever.

But I do feel that it’s my responsibility to maintain an environment, where anyone can feel comfortable coming to read or post on the forum, or use the walkthroughs, and not have to sort through a bunch of posts where people are just swearing all the time or saying what I consider to be horrible or rude things to each other. (Calling other people stupid, or name calling, or starting flame wars etc.)

Now, I personally don’t like swearing, and I don’t like nudity in games, and I don’t like games that have people’s brains exploding and splattering all over the place (though I have played those games before, and if it’s a good story I can put up with that to a degree). So far Kemco hasn’t done nudity or exploding brains, though.

But any Kemco or Exe Create game is fine to discuss. And I’d say for the most part that any rpg is fine to discuss. I’m not so concerned with whether or not the GAME is kid friendly. (Honestly, let the parents sort that one out.)

I am concerned with whether or not the SITE is kid friendly (though, maybe I need a better term to describe it, because I certainly don’t mean everything has to be lollipops and unicorns – I just don’t want bad language or lots of innuendo or that kind of thing?)

Nemomon
    Participant

This topic kinda went to the wrong direction. My intention was not to discuss what is and what is not allowed on this site, because we have a separate forum for that sort of things (and it becomes kinda annoying to read that for the X+10 times already), but rather discuss the really dark aspects of the games. Kemco indeed never said they’re creating games for kids (but almost neither other company ever did), but since they’re mass producing RPGs it is pretty clear that their targets are kids or teens and most of their games are not trying to touch really dark subjects, and even if they do try (like for example racism and genocide in one of the Alphadias), they’re putting that in a pretty easy light. That’s the part of the world the characters are living in, and that’s all. Threfore Unlucky Hero, despite being a pretty old game, is a kind of a phenomenon in the Kemco/EXE-CREATE games.

MSG Commander
    Keymaster

My mistake; guess I read too much into your OP. :whistle:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum Statistics

Members: 567 Forums: 125 Topics: 1,473 Replies: 9,557